ground cover that needs NO mowing?

I want some sort of low ground cover that can be used over a whole yard where I do not have other plants and does not need mowing at all. Oxalis ("false shamrock") looks promising, but descriptions also say that it is "non-invasive", and I want something that WILL be invasive to my whole yard, to the exclusion of "normal" grass. Anyone have any tips?

Where do you live?
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:55:40 -0500, Darren Garrison

Select a groundcover that will grow well in your conditions, (rather than one that you think looks good.)

But I don't know what will grow well in my conditions (zone 7, red clay soil). Which is why I'm asking. Right now, the "lawn" area consists mostly of "weeds" that will reach multiple feet in height if not mowed. I want something that will 1.) cover the soil which would be mud with each rain if not covered 2.) grow to only a few inches high 3.) take as close to zero maintainence as is likely to happen in the real world

http://www.geocities.com/tomj_ga / The 2nd photo from the top shows my lawn planted with the fine bladed lithrope/mundo that spreads by stolens underground. I sprigged this every 4 inches and had solid coverage in 3 years. Nothing comes through this but trees. This grass is similar to the taller dark green and the lighter green variegated used in borders, except the blades are about 1/4 the size and it only grows to about 6 inches without mowing. I only mow my lawn once a year in the spring just before new growth starts. It's in the nursery in 4" pots in the Atlanta area, but they may order you some bulk by the square foot. In either case, you pull the plants apart and plug one plant to about every 4 inches for 3 year coverage, more or less for faster or slower, less expensive coverage. Sorry, don't know the true name?
Tom J
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:55:40 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

Groundcovers which need no mowing:
stones sand astroturf
Low maintenance, too.
Sorry for the smartass remarks, I've been sniffing winter too long.
When Oxalis goes to seed, you will have it everywhere. It's not the best choice.
Is your yard sun/shade, wet/dry, flat/sloped, sandy, ?
What effect are you after?
More info will get you better results.
You don't say if it will have to take any human or pet traffic.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Try Ivy. You can keep rooting offshoots and placing them where you want. Snake heaven too.
Darren Garrison wrote:

How about buffalo grass if you live in a dry climate, or "ajuga" (bugle) or "monkeygrass" in a wet climate.
Buffalo grass looks like a normal lawn if you mow it, or it stops growing at about 5 inches if you don't.
-Bob