ground cover problem

Hi,
I have a slope approx 10 yards by 20 yards. It was originally covered in heavy brush and some broken pine trees that had been there for over 20 years. I had it cleared down to basic pine needle mulch, with mucho roots and vines protruding. I have planted probably 100 purple wintercreeper plants so far, trying to spread them out as evenly as possible. Basically I just want a decent ground cover that will not tower over the house and stay fairly low.
However, the native plants, ie: poison ivy, some shrub like plants, virgina creeper, poplar trees, walnut trees, etc have begun to reemerge and outpace the groundcover I've been planting. It looks like it is getting out of hand. Is spot treating with brush killer the only way to keep this in line until the wintercreeper takes off?
Thanks,
itchy

Only for a nozzlehead, a better approach is to grub out what you can by the roots, apply herbicides where you can't and put down an organic mulch to suppress weed seeds. Try spot application to stubs with a paintbrush as soon as you sever topgrowth, two people working together one with lopper the other with the brush killer.
In article

Why isn't pulling them out by hand working? I have ivy, oak, buck-eye, poison oak, wild plumb and assorted other plants trying to push up where they're not wanted. See 'em. Grab 'em, and pull 'em. Probably take you 10 minutes the first time, and 5 min./wk. there after.
--
- Billy
In article

--
- Billy
[...]

Ok, don the PVC gloves and roundup, onward! I'll get a bucket of soapy water to stick the gloves in after I'm finished. Hey, glad I thought of that. I don't know what that stuff is that looks like cataloupe leaves but it outpaces everything.
itchy
In article

Be sure to sniff the Round-up first, to make sure it's fresh;O)
Since your too lazy to pull weeds, your probably to lazy to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup
--
- Billy