Ground cover for sand above drain field

I had a new septic drain field installed. It is above ground and covered with sand. The area is in the sun for most of the day. I’m in FL. What would be a suitable ground cover for this sandy area, something that my yard guy could plant? Thanks. Ed
Ed Wicks wrote:

is it going to be regularly mowed?
HOA, in the suburbia or otherwise regulated that it must be kept short?
any mix for your climate is ok if you will be mowing it regularly.
i like fields of mixed plantings so that there is a little for everyone. :) then keep it trimmed back a few times a season to make sure it doesn't get taken over by brush/trees.
songbird

When people install gardens on flat roofs here in the northeast -- mostly to insulate -- the plants they like to use are the sedums. They don't need watering. While I think of Florida as getting ample rain, the sand will drain any rain out promptly. Some of the sedums are low and creep like a ground cover.
They also use grasses here. Grasses can also take a drought. Certainly beach grass likes growing in sand.
More suggestions can be found by searching on gardening in sand. But I vote for a sedum, or a variety of sedums.
Don http://foraging.com/ e-mail at page bottom.
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 22:00:45 -0400, I wrote:

Looking into the sedums, I see most are zones 4-9, and some are zones 4-10. So they may be a problem if you are down at the bottom of Florida. Also most are herbaceous. I see one that is evergreen. You will need to do further research. See what the local nurseries sell.

Sedums also flower profusely. Many people where I live plant sedums on steep rocky slopes and around granite outcroppings that can't be mowed... sedums require no maintenence... once sedum is established weeds are smothered. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedum
Brooklyn1 wrote:

no. once again (and as usual), wrong.
ours gets overrun by grasses and other weeds.
songbird
On 8/17/2016 10:54 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/j6sha2p
Those don't look like sedum, you fool.
On 8/18/2016 12:53 PM, Stagger Lee wrote:

Terribly racist. I sent it to my friends ;)
On 8/18/2016 1:31 PM, Frank wrote:

:-)