Ground cover for sand above drain field

I had a new septic drain field installed. It is above ground and covered with sand. The area is in the sun for most of the day. Iâ??m in FL. What would be a suitable ground cover for this sandy area, something that my yard guy could plant? Thanks. Ed

Reply to
Ed Wicks

is it going to be regularly mowed?

HOA, in the suburbia or otherwise regulated that it must be kept short?

any mix for your climate is ok if you will be mowing it regularly.

i like fields of mixed plantings so that there is a little for everyone. :) then keep it trimmed back a few times a season to make sure it doesn't get taken over by brush/trees.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

When people install gardens on flat roofs here in the northeast -- mostly to insulate -- the plants they like to use are the sedums. They don't need watering. While I think of Florida as getting ample rain, the sand will drain any rain out promptly. Some of the sedums are low and creep like a ground cover.

They also use grasses here. Grasses can also take a drought. Certainly beach grass likes growing in sand.

More suggestions can be found by searching on gardening in sand. But I vote for a sedum, or a variety of sedums.

Don

e-mail at page bottom.

Reply to
Don Wiss

Looking into the sedums, I see most are zones 4-9, and some are zones 4-10. So they may be a problem if you are down at the bottom of Florida. Also most are herbaceous. I see one that is evergreen. You will need to do further research. See what the local nurseries sell.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Sedums also flower profusely. Many people where I live plant sedums on steep rocky slopes and around granite outcroppings that can't be mowed... sedums require no maintenence... once sedum is established weeds are smothered.

Brooklyn1

no. once again (and as usual), wrong.

ours gets overrun by grasses and other weeds.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Those don't look like sedum, you fool.

Reply to
Stagger Lee

Terribly racist. I sent it to my friends ;)

Reply to
Frank

:-)

Reply to