Ground Beef Recall Expanded

Page 10 of 15

Yes, I didn't clarify, but I meant corn. When someone says corn fed, run the other way.

Okay, I concede. I was focused on beef. I should have been more broad in my thought.

Oh, I certainly was not proselytizing to anyone here. This is my choice and my spiritual path. My husband eats meat and I make it for him, but he eats very little. These days there are so many ways to cook nutritious foods using alternative measures. There are times where he doesn't even know he isn't eating meat. Fortunately, I didn't marry a big fuss pot. He appreciates most of what I cook for him. Now if I can get him off hot dogs that would be great. Till then, at least I buy Kosher.

They do.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Omelet wrote:

Yup.
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html

Did you stop to consider tho' that the B12 in that vitamin pill is still coming from an animal source?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

No, but I will find out. The other thing which is used in some processed foods is gelatin. I never know what the source for that gelatin comes from. It can get very complicated being vegan, which is why I'm slowly doing it. As for the free range, I always buy free range, cage free, brown eggs. Cage free doesn't always mean free range and I always buy organic when I can.
when I get anemia, it is not from iron. I get low red blood cells which then requires me to take Procrit injections. If I don't, I can't take a step without being out of breath. This has not been an easy illness and I've had this virus for about 35 years, which is why it is now really giving me problems.

It is fun to raise your own. Truly. ;-) 1/2 dozen hens would probably supply you with all you needed and if you had no rooster, the eggs laid would be sterile, so you'd not be killing.
A lot of egg artists demand infertile eggs for their artwork for that very reason.

With your liver problems, that's a different issue... I hope you can work it out somehow. 35 years is a long time!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

To be honest, I live under deed restrictions which say I cannot have farm animals, but I also can't take it if an animal dies under my care, and I don't want to have to deal with it any more. We do have a parrot, Macaw, and she is plenty to take care of. Whoever coined the phrase "eats like a bird" has no idea how much birds eat! It is continuous, with continuous poo. Fortunately, she was poop trained to poop in a waste basket when she was very young.

It is a long time. My lifestyle contributes greatly to my longevity. I don't have the stress of having to work, I have a perfect husband even when he isn't perfect. I also stopped drinking any alcohol over 24 years ago when I learned it would kill me fast.
om mani padme hum

Oh. Bummer.

I understand. But, it _is_ part of the circle of life.

Interesting. I have a cockatoo and I've been surprised at how little she eats, while the pet doves are regular pigs!
Guess who poops more too? <g>

Om Mani Padme Omelet. <g> Scrambled philosophies...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

So? My vegetable garden is fed with animal faeces and dried blood and ground up bone I still eat the product that grows there.
The meat industry is

Since it is apparent that at least some vegetarians are prone to making illogical and hysterical statements, I've decided that I'll remain a meat eater.

A missed point here ... I'm guessing that a freezing cow wallowing in urine and feces is a little more miserable than a nervous-system- lacking plant side-dressed with feces/blood/bone.

Some vegetarians *are* prone to making illogical and hysterical statements, but this lengthy thread proves the hysterical and illogical lengths that meat-eaters go to make meat safe. Please don't let the crazies turn you off ... when you stop being responsible for countless animal slaughters your soul will thank you!

Yes you did miss the point. But that's OK, the rest of us figured out that Jangchub was responding to a post about e-coli being in cattle guts.
I'm guessing that a freezing cow wallowing in

So, we have a post about e-coli in cattle guts, a response about cattle wallowing in manure and somehow you translate that to sad, cold and unhappy cows! Sheesh!
I'm sure even a school kid could figure out that cattle will poop all year round so cold weather if irrelevant. And, as a cattle breeder, I can tell you that cattle will quite happily poop while they lie down and don't seem to bother if they then shift possition and end up wiht it smeared all over themselves. I've even seen a cow have her head shat on by another cown and she didn't even bother moving and she was under no restiction to move if she had so desired.

You are obviously not reading the same thread as I am. The lengthy thread I'm reading has spent more time trying to find out how vegans get B12.
Please don't

The only time any vegetarian has ever made sense to me was when they have stated that they don't eat meat because they don't like the taste of meat. The instant they get off into ethics or philosophy, they start being illogical and then go from bad to worse.
<snip>

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/b12 / "Vitamin B12, whether in supplements, fortified foods, or animal products, comes from micro-organisms."
The original link pointed to Iranian vegans who get their B-12 from eating unwashed vegetables fertilized with humanure.....
http://adam.about.com/reports/Vitamin-B12-source.htm "The human body stores several years worth of vitamin B12, so nutritional deficiency of this vitamin is extremely rare."
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.htm "Neither plants nor animals make vitamin B12. Bacteria are responsible for producing vitamin B12." "One brand of nutritional yeast, Red Star T-6635+, has been tested and shown to contain active vitamin B12."
Soylent Vitamin B-12 is bacteria poop!

I stopped eating meat because I didn't like the taste and texture, and it made me feel ill trying to digest it (pot roast Sundays in my college co-op, specifically). I am ovo-lacto, however. The ethics and philosophy became important collateral health and ecology issues after the fact. Personally, developing agriculture made us a pest species on the planet, whether vegetarian or meat-eaters. We never should have developed past the nomadic hunter-gatherer stage. Except for ice cream......
all animals got e.coli in their gut, including humans. meat should not have e.coli on the surface unless the meat packing plant has poor sanitary practices.
poisoning comes in when the meat contaminated on the outside is ground so that the bacteria now is evenly distributed thru out the ground meat. all meat has bacteria ground into it, it just happens that this kind of e.coli is a strain that is very toxic and infection requires a very small number of the toxic strain. normally our own e.coli prevents infection by other e.coli.
Ingrid

from snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com contains these words:

Would you care to explain that mechanism?
Janet
contains these words:

My theory: There's more than one strain, and perhaps the one we host naturally is different from what grows on beef. AND, sometimes, a large enough population of bacteria provides too much competition for another type. This is why an unopened container of yogurt will last quite a bit longer than the expiration date, assuming it contains active cultures.

See
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/escherichiacoli_g.htm
Janet
contains these words:

Some time ago, someone in this group posted a link to a video of some retard cutting up chicken on a cutting board, and without cleaning it, he uses the same board to prepare salad.
The fact that he was standing there indicates that Darwin's theory often doesn't work quickly enough to improve the population at large.
contains these words:

retard
the
Years ago it was shown that bacteria do not survive on wooden cutting boards. See the following:
http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm
Was he using a wooden cutting board?
Ted
contains these words:

It was a white plastic cutting board. And, I haven't read the article at the link, but regardless, the salad ingredients were placed on the cutting board just seconds after he got done hacking up the chicken. I don't care what the cutting board's made of. You don't do that. If a health inspector was properly trained and saw you doing that in a restaurant kitchen, he'd grab a cleaver and cut your hands off at the wrist so you wouldn't do it again.
contains these words:

often
http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm
the
board
the
I was not recommending doing this, merely speculating on why Darwin's theory wasn't working in this particular instance. I do have a food handlers card (from 2 decades ago - I wonder if it's still good)
Ted