Ground Beef Recall Expanded

Page 9 of 15

We all know who she is referring to.

When all else fails, attack your subject's intelligence.

So unlike Billy's own huge ego.

Bullshit.
Either you all agree with Billy or you're all idiots.

He really cares about gardening, you can tell, because occasionally he mentions a carrot or tomato [eyeroll]
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann wrote:

Um, that's not his ego...

;-D
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
The point is this...... DONT MAKE PERSONAL ATTACKS ON ANYONE. This group has been around a long time, we are like a "neighborhood" in that we care about the health and welfare of each person. For some people gardening is a major part of their lives, a major part of their physical and mental health, it certainly was for my mother. Not everyone is as fortunate as my mother to live in one place for 60 years and pass plants to nearly everyone in the "hood", gradually acquire life long gardening friends. This newsgroup is that equivalent. And like all groups of friends (and relatives) it takes a lot of tolerance and patience to get along over the long haul. Because most of the long timers, the backbone of this group are women, this group reflects more the way women relate which includes discussing a lot of other things and that is what bonds us together. Gardening questions ARE answered right away. But unlike a group sitting around in this format we can carry on multiple conversations. And anybody doesnt want to discuss something has the ability to delete it, just not "listen". Anyone finds it distressing to be in a forum where topics other than gardening are being discussed needs to find a strictly moderated forum then.
While I may agree with you about Bush, I do not agree with personal attacks. And typically, the way groups of people deal with those who arent going to "play nice" is to "shun" them, the equivalent of the killfile. This is exactly what happened in my mothers neighborhood when the woman who moved in next door decided to make my mothers life miserable and the hood found out about it. The nasty women next door was shunned by the hood, and the women in the hood rallied around my mother to support her. Ingrid
I'm here for gardening. If this is a

thank you Ingrid. I don't sweat the stuff. I know who I am and I know my character. I don't need approval from people who read a few posts and make a decision on who they think I am.
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 08:49:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Eggs, dairy, soy, vitamn pill.
Jangchub wrote:

Soy does not have B12. Your article said "fortified soy". It is artificially added there.
Eggs and dairy are not part of a vegan diet, and I'm unsure whether they contain B12.
doofy wrote:

According to a web search, dairy does have B12. Now, are they lumping eggs into the dairy category, like many do? I don't know.

Probably just because of where eggs are found in most grocery stores: The dairy department, or close to it.

Both eggs AND dairy are dietary sources of vit B12,
See http://www.vnv.org.au/Nutrition/B12&Veganism.htm
and http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html
Both say the same. Quote from above, read to end.
" Dietary Sources The only reliable unfortified sources of vitamin B12 are meat, dairy products and eggs. There has been considerable research into possible plant food sources of B12. Fermented soya products, seaweeds and algae have all been proposed as possible sources of B12. However, analysis of fermented soya products, including tempeh, miso, shoyu and tamari, found no significant B12.
Spirulina, an algae available as a dietary supplement in tablet form, and nori, a seaweed, have both appeared to contain significant amounts of B12 after analysis. However, it is thought that this is due to the presence of compounds structurally similar to B12, known as B12 analogues. These cannot be utilised to satisfy dietary needs. Assay methods used to detect B12 are unable to differentiate between B12 and it's analogues, Analysis of possible B12 sources may give false positive results due to the presence of these analogues.
Researchers have suggested that supposed B12 supplements such as spirulina may in fact increase the risk of B12 deficiency disease, as the B12 analogues can compete with B12 and inhibit metabolism.
The current nutritional consensus is that no plant foods can be relied on as a safe source of vitamin B12. "
end quote.
Janet

I'm not debating that. I'm just responding to the use of the word "dairy" to describe eggs.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I've had a vegan confuse that term to me. Him: "Avoid all dairy." Me: "I'm allergic to dairy, but I do eat eggs." Him: "Eggs is dairy." Me: "Cow's don't lay eggs."

How old was this particular vegan?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

In his 60's (looks a lot younger except the eyes), and a very, very avid long distance backpacker.
On 10/2/07 3:32 PM, in article 47029c90$0$79909$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sonic.net,

Must have been Kosher..... C

Actually, I originally said "lacto/ovo" which is the term. I know many vegetarians who do not eat eggs because they are considered black foods for certain spiritual paths.
Jangchub wrote:

Ok, well, that sounds like a valid reason to me. ;-)
Are we talking about taoism, and thousand year eggs?

Many of the eastern cultures consider eggs as a black food. Not all, but many. Yogini's don't eat eggs, onions or garlic. I am Buddhist and there are certain days we shouldn't eat eggs or other black foods. I'd have to look at the calendar and I'm not very adherent.

Yes, if you read my post stream I clearly said enriched when making reference to foods. I am not vegan, but the only thing I continue to do which would make me NOT a vegan would be dairy and eggs. I am weaning off them. Cows never eat a piece of meat and they become the meat we eat to get what? Grass and corn (which cattle don 't eat in nature) turn into red meat. I don't think any meat humans eat are anything other than herbivores. Go figure.
Jangchub wrote:

I'm assuming you're saying cows don't naturally eat corn, and not saying that cows don't naturally eat grass.

Fish are carnivorous. Fowl can be carnivorous, and are certainly insectivores. Pigs, I believe, can be carnivorous on occasion, and insectivorous.
This whole "disagreement" started, or I stepped in at the point where you tried to correct omelet on a web search, and your own link didn't support your comments, though I think your comments didn't exactly say what you are continuing to expand on. After that you added the comments about fortified foods.
So, you weren't clear in what you wrote, but evidently were defending positions our information that was in your head, but not coming out of your keyboard.
I don't have a problem with vegan or vegetarian, unless someone starts proselytizing, which I've had happen to me, as I'm sure others have. I didn't say you were.