Ground Beef Recall Expanded

That's interesting. Both times I've started to do more soy as a protein source, I've encountered some strange changes in my health.
Hope I don't have to give it up totally. I really love steamed edamame.
Cheryl

They don't bother me but I eat them occasionally, not on a regular basis. I like them, too!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Yes, her body already tells her soy is not good for her system. She is working with an endocrinologist and is also going to see an MD who uses holistic methods with conventional medicine.

Are you saying Soy INCREASED your thyroid hormone levels???
That would be a good thing for me! Fortunately, my father (whom I cook for) is ok with soy products too and loves tofu. I don't use it often and neither of us drink milk, so soy milk would not even be considered.
Black soy beans are the only bean I eat as they are the only true "low carb" bean.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

No, I'm saying the soy sent my already borderline thyroid into a tailspin.

Trust me, what's going on with me wouldn't be a good thing for anyone.
I've just got back from the endocrinologist. Turns out I have two large nodules on either side - huge, as a matter of fact. And lucky me, they had a spot open for a needle biopsy on each one today. So, after anesthesia that hurt like hell and five needle punches to either side of my thyroid I'm home. They'll know in a week if they're ok. Hopefully they are, as my thyroid levels are totally normal now (I credit the herbs, the lack of soy and the adjustment to my vitamins). I do feel like I've been punched in the trachea from two sides :o(

I think the less processed the soy the better. Edemames are fine. I've even eated a bit of non-gmo tofu, without too many problems. I'm never drinking soy milk again.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I'm sorry. :-( Needle biopsies can hurt. Mine used to be swollen, but no lumps.
Do you get enough Iodine in your diet to prevent Goiter?
Anyway, keeping fingers crossed that they are normal! Can you take Ibuprofen for the pain?

I can't stand soy fake dairy. It's just gross!
Black soy beans come out a lot like Pintos. I've only had Edamames once and did not like them, but I may not have cooked them right.
We like to use Tofu in some asian style dishes.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

As far as I know, I eat pretty well, whole foods, a little meat, lots of fish, chicken, etc.

Actually I liked my Silk Vanilla soy. It tasted great on cereal and sweetened unsweetened cereal just enough.

I actually love tofu dishes, so I'm not ruling them out, just not on a regular basis.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Regulating hormones is a bear.
Has she looked at DHEA?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

She did a saliva test she got at that People's Pharmacy and is waiting for the hormone results now. I did tell her to check her DHEA levels. I wish I could take it. I used to take it and I felt great. I can't have it now.

Why?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Ann.
I seem to recall reading somewhere too that Iodine supplementation (in excess) can help reduce the effects of Hyperthyroidism?
Not 100% sure. Just a vague memory but you could research it a bit.
I have the opposite problem Hypothyroidism. :-P
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

I read a bit about it but it advised to only fiddle with iodine under a doctor's care, so I'm waiting....it's taken three months to get an appointment with an endocrinologist, my appointment is (finally!!) tomorrow at 9:30 am.
My problems were mainly a dramatic weight loss - I'm not heavy at all, I've always had trouble keeping weight on (and believe me, that isn't a good thing, but no one with a weight problem believes it), so at 138 losing 8 1/2 lbs within a month scared me a bit. The details are long, involved, and not related to gardening so I'll leave it at that. Things have stabilized, though, and I've even put two back on, but I'm going through the motions to make sure there isn't a serious issue.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann wrote:

I finished 'enjoying' your web page. very nice pictures you got. thank you very much for sharing with me.
Jim

You're welcome, Jim :o)
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I understand. :-)
I have trouble keeping my T4 in normal range, even with meds. I'd love to have a higher thyroid level!
As long as it's not causing "bug eyes" and tachycardia......
Good luck with your appointment. Just remember tho', if they kill your thyroids with radioactive Iodine, you will have the reverse problem and be fighting the complications of HYPOthyroidism for the rest of your life, and have to supplement thyroid hormone.
Tread carefully and consider all the aspects before accepting treatment.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Oh yea, I'm not going to let them destroy anything. I'll try to self-regulate before I'll even consider conventional treatment. Seems to be working so far....
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Good move. :-)
All too many docs fail to take lifestyle and diet into consideration (it can SO influence lab values!) and prescribe drastic treatments before looking at lifestyle changes first it seems.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Actually, I take milk thistle daily. It also helps some with the inflamation in my joints. I order it online and it's called "Maximum Milk Thistle." I'm a grown woman of 52, but my mom insists on paying for it. It comes automatically. I was pretty surprised when my conventional western medicine gastroenterologist told me to take milk thistle.

Some docs are learning. ;-)
Did you take a look at the mushroom website?
They sell some starter kits for some of those at a very reasonable price. As soon as I can set aside some space for some where I can control the temp better (it's too hot here to even attempt to grow them outdoors), I want to try some of his indoor patches. Oyster at the very least.
I love the idea of growing cellulose consumers. The ultimate in recycling! And mushrooms have some interesting chemistry, nutrition and flavor.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Yes, plus I do believe we have excellent doctors in this city where we live. Actually, I have a team! I received my prescription pay out from last year and our insurance paid over 25,000 in prescription drugs and treatments! I consider myself so fortunate to have medical insurance which is not reflected in "Sicko." I do know there are people who do have such horrible insurance.

I bookmarked it.

One year I bought everyone I know a kit and the mushrooms I produced were oysters and they were very tough. I may have done something wrong.