Ground Beef Recall Expanded

Page 4 of 15
On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:00:56 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

Drool dripping on to keyboard too...
Charlie
Charlie wrote in wrote:

if you're in the US, you should be able to find a nice selection of yeasts at a local homebrew shop. i'm not going to pick through headers to see where you're from ;) otherwise, mailorder is an option. one of next year's projects is a brewer's & dyer's garden, & i may try raising yeasts. we do a little saving of certain yeasts now, but it's a bit tricky.

ok. some people don't understand cider isn't apple juice ;)

they'd have to be homemade here. we have eliminated anything with high fructose corn syrup... Tom went from 3 12 packs of Coke/week to none because we can't get it with sugar. Coke corporate told us it was up to the individual bottling plants to use sugar of HFCS... so we're brewing sodapop too...

gotta get some apples first. lee

My headers don't reveal much, but yeah, I'm in the us, northern Missouri. I found a shop that I will visit when I pry my butt outta here, as I told Ann <grumbling renewed>

Nice project.

They don't know what they be missin'! Cider needs to be fresh, unpastuerized, and the drops don't hurt a thing, add character, perhaps. There is a couple locally who press a fair amount every year, the real deal.

High fructose corn syrup may well be one of the most prevalent and dangerous food additives around. It is in *everything* it seems. One of the people we support has food allergies, corn being amongst them, and corn syrup sometimes triggers hives as well. It's a bitch.

Care Charlie
On 10/12/07 9:07 PM, in article

not for doughnuts, to make cider :) which, of course, Sunnycrest was making from scratch too. do they sell unpasturized cider? the place i usually get unpasturized cider (& drops) is up for sale. it has good potential, but the current owners were clueless Californians that bought the property, subdivided off lots, built some yuppie houses, & played at the orchard business. it's down to 20 acres, the trees haven't been properly pruned in 4 years (since they bought it) & the house has been redone to excess... the house, store & orchard are for sale at $650k, which is pretty 'cheap' for the area (and less than they paid, but it had a lot more land then), but the taxes are over $11k/year (nice views & i suspect he doesn't know about current use credits). it's a divorce situation. apples didn't make the money they were accustomed to... & the building business is bust here. he's a nice guy. i could probably actually teach him how to run a profitable orchard, but i suspect the other half wants a house sale settlement. lee
On 10/13/07 8:40 AM, in article
wrote:

Yes!

which one? Mack's? does MacQuestin have apples? lee
On 10/13/07 10:13 PM, in article

if it was fixing stupid laws like not allowing the use of drops in cider, i'd go along. that one piece of overreactive legislation is destroying a lot of orchards... that & the "view tax" <gag> there is one distillery in NH that is allowed to buy & use drops (he makes apple vodka), but they can't possibly save all the orchards in the state (i think he gets drops from only two) lee
On 10/14/07 8:26 AM, in article
wrote:

problem with him having opinions, but he crosses certain lines... Lets not go into in here...

Hmm - what's the name? I'd check that out.
Cheryl

You can get Coca Cola made with sugar. Every year Coca Cola makes up a batch of what they call "Kosher Coke" It is sold during the week of Passover. This year I bought a couple dozen 2 liters of the stuff. Unfortunately drunk it all within a month as it's so good. Passover Coke is distinguished fram regular Coke by the yellow cap. I don't know why HFCS is considered "non-kosher" but it is.
Ted
On 10/15/07 3:09 AM, in article newscache$iwzxpj$qz02$ snipped-for-privacy@news.ipinc.net, "Ted

First, Lee, check out the "health food" section of the grocery store. There are sodas that are made with sugar not HFCS. Making your own could be fun.
Ted, corn is a grain and such not allowed during Passover. The only grain product allowed is matzoh. Check out http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/matzoh /
It explains why things are and are not kosher for Passover.
Cheryl

most of the natural sodas we've tried have been mediocre to awful :) Saranac makes pretty good soda, but the labels say HFCS... however, the nice people at Saranac Brewery assured us that they no longer are using HFCS, but haven't got the new labels yet. i have started brewing our own. we make beer, so we already have all the 'stuff' to brew sodapop, and i got Tom a kegerator for his birthday, so we can keg the pop instead of having the exploding bottle issue ;) this week i'm making ginger beer (good ginger beer is really hard to find, with or without sugar). i looked at the extracts for make-your-own-sodapop & they use artificial sweeteners for some reason (since they have you add 6 cups of sugar...). i don't do artificial sweeteners. all of the fake sugar substitues, including Splenda, taste really nasty (it's a genetic thing).
lee

Canadian Coke & some Mexican Coke is made with sugar. it'll be interesting to see what happens with US produced sodapop as the price of corn rises. at some point it may be more cost effective to return to using sugar, despite the artificially high price caused by trade agreements, if all the corn is being wasted on ethanol production... why is it the US quit producing sugar, yet still has import restrictions/price setting structures? lee

That question has an interesting answer. You see, the price support on sugar was never really a subsidy for sugar - there were always too few sugar producers in the USA to matter. Its purpose was to make the price of sugar so high that corn sweetener would be used instead. So, it is actually a subsidy for corn, which has has quite a few supporters in government.
MikeSt wrote:

So, all those sugar cane growers in my old abode, So. Louisiana, got shafted?

looooong ago. which is a pity, because the biomass from cane is a *much* better source of energy than corn ever will be, plus real sugar is not nearly the heath crisis that HFCS is (HFCS shuts off the chemical receptors in your brain that let you know you've had enough to eat. if you eat a lot of HFCS, you always feel hungry, so overeat... usually junk with more HFCS) lee

Quality empty calorie?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

In article

<lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

In France (Brittany) they have cider, sweet cider, and sparkling cider. Sweet cider tastes very much like apple juice but can have a kick like a mule.
--
FB - FFF

Billy