Ground Beef Recall Expanded

Page 14 of 15

You be right, as usual, C. Dawg.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

I was raised hunting animals (non-Jewish side of family) and fishing. I suddenly decided that if I wasnt going to eat it (squirrel full of pellets) or fish (dont like em) then I shouldnt kill them. I havent hunted or fished since I was 15 or so, the point I describe as the age at which my Jewish genes kicked in. Ingrid
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:41:10 -0500, Charlie wrote: but if I am going to consume meat, I

<Charlie> wrote in message >>>

Trumps in what way? I have my own answers to this question, but I'm interested in yours.
Hi All, <Charlie> wrote in message >>>

It is called a humane killer,. How it works I do not know.
Richard M. Watkin.

i've never seen the stunner used on the back of an animal's head. it, like the .22, is positioned in that X between the ears & eyes. the 'stunner' actually kills the animal instantly, so 'stunner' is a misnomer. we used these to kill animals when i was in college in the early 70s. i was an ag major. lee

They do when hit with the stunner in an abattoir too although I don't know what mechanism it uses to drop them.
wrote in message

I'm thinking that maybe it's done in different ways. What a concept. We certainly wouldn't want to descend into Om logic and claim it's done the same way everywhere, just because cousin Clevis does it a certain way.

Dunno, but Wiki has the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_bolt_pistol
yes, it is quick and painless. But to make the animal kosher it must be bled out completely. In terms of parasitology, blood is most likely to carry disease, so it is good to bleed animals out completely for healths sake. BTW, I dont keep kosher. Ingrid

Oh the whole thought of that is simply heartbreaking to me. I'll never eat meat again of any kind and haven't for years. It has only improved my health as we don't need anywhere near the level of protein nutritionists used to suggest. Actually, it's low on the food pyramid
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 09:03:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

The food pyramid was constructed by non-scientists. It does not reflect the reality of the diet of humans during evolution. If I ate the "food pyramid" I would end up morbidly obese (instead of just overweight). There is some scientific hypothesis out there (not yet a theory) that the high protein levels of food from the sea or lakes is what supported a bigger and better brain. altho every cell in the body needs cholesterol to strengthen the cell membrane, the brain requires even higher levels of cholesterol. Ingrid

You would be morbidly obese if you overate what the food pyramid suggests. If you overate apples you'd also be obese. Proper caloric intake has no bearing on where the calories come from. You can get the same brain of a fish eater by using any form of omega 3 oils, also found in flaxseed meal and oils...which must be refridgerated. Gel pills are not that effective on overall health.
Personally, the whole "brain food" myth came from parents trying to coax their kids into eating fish.
Too much protein in an adult can also cause kidney disfunction, or any level thereof. In my case, I get plenty of whole protein from my diet. If I overeat I will be fat. How much is the key, not the form of food.
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 09:27:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

I never heard the "brain food myth", never heard of that. I am talking about theories proposed by anthropologists and "paleonutritionists" or whatever. It is a very hot area of discussion in that area of science, which one of the physical changes came first, which was the first change leading to homo sapiens. the physical traits are upright walking, larger brains ... and the archeologists are finding the association of "homo almost" with lots and tons of shells and nearly all the sites are right next to the sea. http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/296/5569/835 Of course, high quality protein is essential for good brain development in children today as well.
I am not aware of any science research showing high protein intake can CAUSE kidney problems. I do know that is what dog food processors have used to sell their disgusting dry pellets as dog for the last 50 years. Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

The new food pyramid was constructed by big agra, who tell you that all foods fit in a healthy diet, no matter how bad they are for you. It all depends on you being an intelligent consumer (It's your fault.). The agricultural lobby has tied-up the FDA and they will not tell you to eat less fat. Five serving of fruits and vegetables a day will go a long way towards making you a healthier person.

Although, nutritionists worry about the impact of methyl mercury from lake and sea food.

I too would like to know the connection between dietary and serum cholesterol. I don't know but my observation is that dietary cholesterol is unimportant. Serum cholesterol comes from saturated fats.
Thanks for the discussion,

--
FB - FFF

Billy

No indeed bleeeding out is not quick.
But I still believe stunning before bleeding out is a better way of killing. Animals which are killed in the conventional method are kept calm as animals that are upset produce more carcases which get called "dark cutters". This means that the meat loses value - no abattoir aims to do that as its a loss of profits.
Cattle killed in an Abattoir are stunned as soon as they walk through the door and then bled out. It's painless.

in a slaughtering plant the processing line has a number of stations and each person does one of two "cuts" and then the meat moves on to the next station. companies want that line to go as fast as possible so the precision of gutting the animals is going to determine if the gut is cut or not. at the high speeds of today's lines the gut is going to get cut. example: chickens are dipped into water to wet their feathers so the machine can strip the feathers off and I am sure there is crap in that water that is now distributed well over the whole chicken. Ingrid

It's not as cut and dried as you are making out. Transmission during slaughter is not an automatic thing which is what you seem to be suggesting.
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

Bacteria is going to be on the surface of the meat. Inside the meat is sterile. Problem when you grind burger is as you say. That's why it is safe to eat a steak cooked rare but not a hamburger. Chicken are another story. Practically impossible to gut them and keep clean. (You can gut a cow and keep gut off meat.) That's why there is more food poisoning from chicken than beef.
On Oct 1, 12:58 am, Charlie wrote:

Problem is worst with factory chubs. Too many cows being sent down the line, inevitably a few are going to get their gut contents spilled into the meat.
Either buy in-store ground, or grind your own.
Most recipes that call for ground beef are improved by substituting cubed. Not difficult to do yourself with a sharp, well-maintained knife. Can't understand why ground beef is so popular here.

cheap (comparatively), easy & it uses up a lot of cuts that most people nowadays don't want or even know what to do with. very few people want roasts (take too long for "busy cooks") & they have no clue what to do when confronted with anything besides a steak or ground beef. before fast food became widely available, there were very few steak houses, because there was nowhere for the other cuts to go. now it just gets ground up & sold as burger. lee