Ground Beef Recall Expanded

Creosote? That's occasionally used for smoke flavor, by Burger King in particular, IIRC.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

????????????

You slip the lead today? Didn't you have grapes to abuse?

Reply to
Charlie

Ferd, get a grip. You're trying too hard here. Your not bleeding likely to find a wood fire in one of those smoke stacks. You must have been thinking of chimneys. You are a comedien (consider getting a large black board as a visual aid). If you want creosote, go suck on a post. It's cheaper than a whopper. You might want to add some mustard, onion, tomato, and pickle though. No, I was referring to New Jersey as the original "Skunk Works". If it is a smell or a taste, it's made in New Jersey.

Reply to
Billy

The lab is taking its' hits. There are three of us. I'm down with a cold, another is out with a swollen elbow, and the third poor bastard has Sat. off. I have to scab up by at least by Sat. One person in the lab makes for a long day (12-14 hrs.), but the overtime is nice:-)

More rain expected for Fri. here in the wine country. I suspect that the harvest finished today. Sun and sugars go up. Rain and sugars, and acids go down. Some grapes are at 25% sugar for the second time, and then they start to rot. Harvest over but the wine making goes on.

Reply to
Billy

Damn, sounds like it's you po' bastids are gettin' abused rather than the grapes. Hope the cold clears and hope the the person with the swollen elbow doesn't have cellulitis. I have had episodes of that in my elbow, about once per decade. Nearly went gangrenous the first go I had, and it happens effing fast.

We are having marvelouly cool weather, 60's and expecting some showers perhaps the next several days.

I didn't know any of the finer points of wine making you have recently presented, and how grapes react to different factors. Not being much interested in wine, other than for cooking, I just had the basics in my head........fruit, crush, yeast, bottle......simpleton I am.

Your place harvest by hand? I saw something on DIscovery the other night about mechanical grape harvesters.

Mother Earth News has an article this month on hard cider making and it sounds to be extremely easy. All I would need is a quality champagne yeast. I am tempted, against my better judgement, but it is my favorite season of the year and a fresh mug of cider would go great with a fresh warm doughnut.

Heal well Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

champagne yeast makes a finer cider, but ale yeast is also good & sometimes easier to find. bread yeast works, but it can add off-flavors (almost as bad as just letting wild yeast do the work). hard cider doesn't taste like fresh cider, BTW. i don't know that it goes well with doughnuts... i do like to let some of my fresh cider start to ferment (with the wild yeasts) so it gets 'fizzy', but not to where it gets alcoholic. reminds me i should go up to my friends orchard & get some drops... the US gub'mint says he can't use drops in the cider he makes, but it doesn't say he can't let me take drops home. lee

Reply to
enigma

With a little luck, I'll remember to email DH's cousin in Germany and ask her what it is and to bring some when she comes over in May.

Put me on the list for the extra chutney. ;) Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

What do you do in the lab?

Reply to
Omelet

And there are cuts now that appear to invented in recent days. Tri-tip anyone

Mine brings wasabi to the rink - for a little fire in her belly. She loves sushi and will try nearly anything once. C

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote in news:470fde6c$0$1344$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.greatnowhere.com:

May I suggest a sock?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Reply to
dr-solo

What Gina didnt say.... Taubes "cherry picked" his information. This is a SERIOUS when trying to prove the positive, but not when challenging "common knowledge". It was the exceptions to the theory the earth was at the center to the universe that brought that whole cockamamie theory crashing down.

It is bad bad bad when somebody has a conclusion already in mind and then goes looking for the bits and pieces that support their conclusion and ignore the bits that dont. This is what creationists do, it is also what opponents of global warming do.

It is a very fine line to wander trying to attack "common knowledge". It is best to start by carefully examining each paper for bias, who are the authors, who is putting up the money for the research, how well does the research follow the scientific methodology, etc.

It is good to look at the history of the causes of ulcers to see the natural history of a challenge to "common knowledge". It took a long time for the scientific and finally the medical community to accept that, yes, Virginia, bacteria does cause most ulcers. And this has been modified by the finding of a genetic trait that predisposes a big chunk of humans to the bacteria (type O blood group). Gone are the "stress", "diet", type A personality causes of ulcers. Only "aspirin etc." medications are another cause.

So while I laud Taubes for taking on the "common knowledge" I am sure no practicing scientist with their head screwed on tight would have done so unless they had a "death of their career wish". Did he go overboard? Yes, I am sure he did (I havent read the book yet). Do I go overboard when presenting stuff? Yeah, but I am an iconoclast and I "spout" to shake people up and make em question their preconceived ideas.

Mostly the average Japanese never had enough food much less highly refined food. Traditional Eskimos and those who live in the high north, who mostly eat protein and fat dont have heart disease either. Nor do the French, who slather fat on everything but eat small amounts of food period.

I am c>Just call me sensitive but my recent exposure to the term "junk science"

Reply to
dr-solo

Reply to
Omelet

And with a little luck you will remember to let us know what it is? ;-)

Ahhhh.......another chutney lover.

Since I am the only one who eats it, I always increase the hot pepper and use a hot madras curry I can get locally. Extra candied ginger too.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Thanks for the yeast tip, I think I can get ale yeast close to here.

I know it doesn't taste like fresh. I've been a cider-head for a long time, both fresh and hard.

A sweet hard cider, IMO, does go well with fresh *homemade* donuts.

Give it a try sometime. :-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Drool dripping on to keyboard...

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Local orchard was frying up donuts as I waked into buy my 1/2 peck for the week. So dang good

Cheryl Isaak

Drool dripping on to keyboard too...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

if you're in the US, you should be able to find a nice selection of yeasts at a local homebrew shop. i'm not going to pick through headers to see where you're from ;) otherwise, mailorder is an option. one of next year's projects is a brewer's & dyer's garden, & i may try raising yeasts. we do a little saving of certain yeasts now, but it's a bit tricky.

ok. some people don't understand cider isn't apple juice ;)

they'd have to be homemade here. we have eliminated anything with high fructose corn syrup... Tom went from 3 12 packs of Coke/week to none because we can't get it with sugar. Coke corporate told us it was up to the individual bottling plants to use sugar of HFCS... so we're brewing sodapop too...

gotta get some apples first. lee

Reply to
enigma

My headers don't reveal much, but yeah, I'm in the us, northern Missouri. I found a shop that I will visit when I pry my butt outta here, as I told Ann

Nice project.

They don't know what they be missin'! Cider needs to be fresh, unpastuerized, and the drops don't hurt a thing, add character, perhaps. There is a couple locally who press a fair amount every year, the real deal.

High fructose corn syrup may well be one of the most prevalent and dangerous food additives around. It is in *everything* it seems. One of the people we support has food allergies, corn being amongst them, and corn syrup sometimes triggers hives as well. It's a bitch.

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie