Grooves in trunk of palm tree

I think this is a king palm (not 100% sure). Here are some photos I just = took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this = was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can = see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by = insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal = or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not = check this account daily.

in advance!

Sam

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.

in advance!

Sam

++++++++++++++++++

Good pictures! Was the tree always smaller in diameter at the bottom that way? That does NOT look good. And, based on the symptoms, I don't know if I'd park a car near it in windy weather.

You might want to call your local cooperative extension office ASAP, and send or bring them these pictures.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

etc - would be very much appreciated.

this account daily.

It looks like it could be from irregular watering. The tree isn't safe. Have an arborist look at it.

Reply to
Jangchub

Has it ever been struck by lightening?

Gloria

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.

in advance!

Sam

Reply to
Gloria

"Sammy bin Snoozin" expounded:

today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

etc - would be very much appreciated.

this account daily.

That tree is rotten at the base, it'll come down someday in a strong storm.

Reply to
Ann

No lightning in the last 14 years I've been here.

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

just took today to show a possible problem. Up until today I thought = this was normal, but when I push on the tree, it sway very easily and I = can see the trunk move at the ground. Nothing appears wet or eaten by = insects - everything I can see and touch is hard like a normal tree.

normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

not check this account daily.

I thought so too 3 years ago, but it has been steadily growing - slow, = but steady. And hard as a rock all around the base.

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

Looking at the bud and fronds it looks like your tree is on it's way out. Be careful, if you get a lot of rain and high winds it is going to come down. As for the base, I would not want to climb it to trim the fronds (Did tree work for 2 years in FL).

Dave FL

Reply to
Dave FL

Anyway, anyone who can share some info about this tree - is this normal or not, etc - would be very much appreciated.

If you send me an email, please post to this newsgroup also as I do not check this account daily.

in advance!

Sam

It appears to me that the tree is under stress of some kind -- the fronds are sparse and droopy and the trunk is quite narrow both at the base and from about 6' above ground all the way to the top. This may be the early stages of ganoderma butt rot, which is fatal and not curable. Check information and pictures at

The next stage will include the growth of a ganoderma conch on the bottom of the tree.

Other things to consider which might have stressed the tree -- lack of proper fertilization, putting the tree into decline, or improper ("hurricane-cut") pruning, which removed fronds while they were still partially green and feeding the main body of the tree.

Reply to
JimR

I thought so too 3 years ago, but it has been steadily growing - slow, but steady. And hard as a rock all around the base. ============================

It's been two days since you posted your message, so you've had time to call your cooperative extension office and ask them about the problem. And, today's Tuesday, so we know the office was probably open yesterday and today.

When you called them, what did they say about this tree?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

He can't ask advice here too, 'your cooperative extension' is the end all right?

Reply to
Steveo

No, silly. But, his description suggests that the tree is losing its grip on the ground beneath. I don't know about you, but that sounds analogous to a

55 year old human having chest pains and shortness of breath.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not to mention the fact that it's so close to the street and walkway..

If a tree falls on someone in the street, do they make a sound? ;)

Yup, and then they sue you.. It's best to let someone "LOOK" at the thing and make a choice. I'd say the cooperative extension department is one of the better choices to make as to having someone actually look at the thing.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

Going to work this morning I noticed a palm enroute that is very similar to the one in your picture. In this one, the fissures go from the ground to about 5-6 feet height. I still think this may be the early stages of ganoderma butt rot.

Info is available at

in their summary:

-- Ganoderma butt rot is caused by the fungus Ganoderma zonatum. This fungus degrades or rots the lower 4-5 feet of the trunk.

-- There are currently no cultural or chemical controls for preventing the disease or for curing the disease once the palm is infected.

-- A palm cannot be diagnosed with Ganoderma butt rot until the basidiocarp (conk) forms on the trunk, or the internal rotting of the trunk is observed after the palm is cut down.

-- Because the fungus survives in the soil, planting another palm back in that same location is not recommended.

Reply to
JimR

message

strong

Since you evidently know so much about what I'm doing, why don't you tell me.

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

problem.

yesterday

I must have missed something. Clarification?

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

message

insects -

ground to

preventing the

basidiocarp

Thanks, JR.

"The fungus that causes the disease is distributed throughout Florida, from Key West to Jacksonville to Pennsacola. It is also known to occur in Georgia and South Carolina." -- could be it I guess. I'm in Calif though.

I've had a call in to Ag Ext for several days. I was told that commercial ag problems get first prioirty and then home gardening questions. They really understaffed these days.

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

I thought you would've called the cooperative extension service by now. Do you know who I mean, what they do, and why they might be a valuable resource for answering your question?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

message

expounded:

thought

yesterday

Thanks, Joe. Sorry, I misunderstood.

Yes, I did - and also emailed a link to the photos. Still waiting for a reply. Likely they are taking off next week for Vet's Day, then the following 2 weeks for Thxkgv, then there's Christmas. I hope to hear back from them by 2009.

In the mean time, I'm taking some photos down to the local nursery and will report back what they tell me.

Sam

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

Email is a thing of the past. Pick up the phone and call the cooperative extension.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom