Grey laundry water for garden watering?

Page 6 of 6
In article

Finally looked at that link. Saving it for future reference in case I end up landing a large alligator gar. ;-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

My GARsh!! I'm gonna have to get me a prairie dog to roast to keep ahead of you.
But, if you eat 'possum, you win. ;-) I ain't been that hungry...yet!
CHarlie

I've seen them when I was snorkeling the river.

I will NOT eat opossum! Not a chance in hell. <g>

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

Oh har dee har har. Charliecarp, what the bloody hell...ain't nothin' like a bloke settin' his own self up fer something like this, eh? I s'pose you are feelin' right cute about yourself, ain't ya? ;-)
'sall right, y'all enjoy yourselves.
Carp in a jug......whoever heard of such shit. Waste of good food, if'ns ya ask me, but since ya didn't, I'm tellin' ya anyways.
I'll quit carping at y'all, for now, and go back to building fence
Charlie

I'm lucky to get 20-30 with my eyes;-)
--

Billy

In article

Don't complain. I just got fitted for progressive lenses this year. <sigh> It was not unexpected, but it's damned expensive!

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
In article

From what I have read, yes. BT dunks are specifically made for standing water skeeter control.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

All my piped wastewater goes to the leech field via the septic tank. Due to the low permeability of my local soil, I opted for an above ground leech field. It the size of a very large putting green. Soil depth is too deep to have any concern of grass rootage affecting the leech piping. But, at the same time, enough water is drained to keep the grass from drying out in drought periods...
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

And I'll bet it's REALLY green! :-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."

You got that absolutely right. A genuine "green" green.
On the more serious side, I have to flush it with water to have the effect I want to keep things going green in low rain times. I generally take a bath, flush the toilet a few times consecutively, run the dishwasher, and run the washer closely together on those days.
I generally use Xtra or Trend (both cheap) liquid washing detergents. I DO NOT use any liquid bleach that goes to the septic tank. I use liquid bleach and water in a 5 gallon plastic bucket to bleach whites. Pour the liquid on the gravel driveway, rinse the clothing, pour the rinse water in same location, then wash clothing. The wastewater in the gravel driveway has neutral effect on foliage that likes to grow there. Generally soak whites for 24 hours or more in bleach/water, less bleach needed. Have not used any bacteria additives to date for the septic tank. For novices, the common way to "start" a septic tank is with yeast from the grocery store. After that, just maintain it with adequate waste and water.
--
Dave

Parkinson's disease, not easy to define.
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

I remember having a septic tank both in the house in Colorado and in Georgetown when we were renting. The grass over the leach lines was always very green, and we had to be OH so careful what we put down the drains.
The tank flora products were only used if we had to have the tank pumped for whatever reason.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
NapiSan OxyAction MAX
http://www.vanishstains.com.au/whats_new.shtml#1
Is this sort of grey water ok for lawn watering? What if this grey water was used for deep soil irrigation near plants and shrubs? (This is much less of an issue at this stage). I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.
--
i'm instinctively inclined to worry about the addition of napisan, so i
think you're going to have to stop doing that! it has a fearsome reputation
NapiSan OxyAction MAX
http://www.vanishstains.com.au/whats_new.shtml#1
Is this sort of grey water ok for lawn watering? What if this grey water was used for deep soil irrigation near plants and shrubs? (This is much less of an issue at this stage). I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.
There is a chap whose sig block is George.com from NZ and he has made up a grey water system for watering his lawns. If you can attract his attention he may be able to help you out with the necessary info.
wrote in message

don't drag me into this debate, I'm just an innocent bystander. I will provide my expertise if someone answers my post about community gardens in Sydney.
My experiments with waste water was limited to our summer drought. 4 + months of fa water so I used the water from the washing machine on to the lawn by way of a surge tank (old rubbish bin) and scavanged washing machine pipe joined together with a gravity fall off the back deck. The system worked well. I was initially worried about salt build up from the washing powders. I brought some non-phosphorous powder but I also used some low(ish) phosphorous powder as well. Upon reflection I was not too worried about salt levels in the powder. My problem was a long drought by local standards. I simply wanted to try and nurse the lawn through. 2-3 loads of washing machine water a week was not enough to keep the lawn green but it did mitigate some of the effects of the long drought. We have heaps of rain in winter so salts in the soil will be washed through by constant rainfall. Since mid april we have had roughly 3-4 inchs I guess. That is enought to kick start growth and rains will continue through the winter. As a stop gap measure it worked okish. year round however the salts in the washing powder would worry me.
Now, if someone wants to answer my Sydney query: Does nayone living in Syndey know of any community/permaculture/organic gardens within the sydney city?
A woman from NZ is over in your city sometime shortly and is interested in visiting such gardens to see how it is done.
Any contacts or websites is appreciated
rob

I would encourage you to use your greywater on the lawn (or scrap the lawn - but that is another story). Many cleansing products are fairly harmless but there are some potential problems. Some even have a mild nutrient effect from phosphourus compounds.
One problem is that some contain sodium salts in fair concentrations, if this were allowed to accumulate without being leached away it could sodize your soil. Too much sodium displaces necessary minerals (potassium, magnesium, calcium, etc) which is harmful to plants. This is particularly a problem with dishwasher powder that typically has much washing soda (sodium carbonate) in it. So you should avoid such products or only use greywater from them if it will be well diluted.
The other problem is that antibacterial products like napisan will kill bacteria (duh!) in your soil, which is undesirable as in this natural environment they have a positive role. The modern super-clean attitude where every microbe should be dead is not right for the garden (nor for humans either but that is yet another story). Consider if napisan is important to your normal wash or could you and your lawn do without it.
There are web pages devoted to this issue which contain lists of laundry products and ingredients or ratings for them.
David
On Thu, 1 May 2008 01:22:16 -0700 (PDT), Gas Bag

Here's a few links which may bear some light on this question.
http://www.lanfaxlabs.com.au/laundry.htm
http://www.lanfaxlabs.com.au/gardens.htm
These were found on this page of the "Gumnuts" blog

to consider using water from washing machines to irrigate lawns and gardens. The question is - is it safe to do so?

machine, the soils in your garden and the area available to distribute the water. The fact is that applying laundry water indiscriminately can seriously damage plants and soil structure.

potentially harmful. More often than not it's the sodium content that determines how much laundry wastewater can be safely applied to a given area.

from the work of Dr Robert A. Patterson who is the Director of Lanfax Laboratories based in Armadale, NSW. Dr Patterson is regarded as an expert on the interactions between recycled water (including grey water from laundries) and soils.

you plan how best to distribute grey water on lawns and gardens. The site itself is a bit confusing to navigate but the following two sections should provide most of the information you need.

of the liquids (detergents) when compared with the powders is that liquids present less of a sodium hazard than the powders.

essential plant nutrients in greywater and a lot of nasty sodium. Most of the benefit you see from using greywater is from the water, not what is in it.......so greywater is not a fertiliser and never will be!"
On Fri, 09 May 2008 14:06:01 +0800, snipped-for-privacy@altavista.com wrote in aus.gardens:

potentially harmful. More often than not it's the sodium content that determines how much laundry wastewater can be safely applied to a given area.

I was talking to someone who is a local compost expert and they reckon that puting grey water on the compost heap gets rid of the salts.
The only proviso to this is that this person has very large hot compost heaps and actively goes out to find material to compost (for example clears up all the leaves in the railway carpark)
Regards Dinsy
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius