Green tomatoe - how to tell if they are ripe?

I've been looking at some heirloom green tomatoes - tomatoes that are green when they ripen. Has anyone here grown these? How is the flavor, and how do you tell if they are ripe?

Reply to
Zootal

I grow green zebras. The stripes are kind-of golden when they are ripe. I have no idea how one would tell on a purely green one.

Reply to
Jean B.

When ripe the stripes become distinct and the tomato loses its' billiard ball hardness.

Reply to
Billy

Feel it, smell it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I grow them also. They tend to have a slight tang to them. I also harvest when they get a little gold tinge to them. K

Reply to
KarenCannoli