Green sticky seeds

Gonna be a tough one to visualize I know, but I'm trying to figure out where my cat is picking up these things.

Anyway, he's coming in with these BB sized green seeds(??) stuck to his fur that take quite a bit of effort to remove. They aren't sticky so much as I think they're more like velcro, they stick to all the fabrics in the house which makes it tough to get rid of them with a vacuum.

Any ideas what plant is producing those? All I can think of is perhaps the climbing Wisteria I have on my fence, the grass/weeds in the back 40 or what I don't know.

Reply to
Eigenvector

More than likely a weed called "beggar's lice", fairly common throughout North America. A Google for a picture should tell you if that's what it is. My dog comes in when we haven't mowed for a bit with them sticking to her legs.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Sorry I cant remember where you are,(Pacific coast?) Anyway Forget me nots, Stickseed (Hackelia) Bidens also called beggar-tick, sticktight, or bur marigold Galium (bedstraw, cleavers) are irritating possibilities.

Emilie NorCal who has removed all of the above from hiking boots and socks,yuck

Reply to
mleblanca

Yeah I suppose a location would help narrow it down some - Seattle.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Possibly, I haven't seen anything like that around, although I'm sure my cat knows the local flora and fauna better than I do - and I have a big back yard too!

If it is weeds and there's not many of them, I won't worry too much about it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was planting in my herb garden - like the rosemary or the lavender plants. I don't have any experience working with herbs so I don't know how they reproduce.

Reply to
Eigenvector

I have an extensive herb garden and have no herbs, including the two you mentioned, that have seeds like you describe. I wouldn't suspect the herb garden.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Yup, that's what it is, thanks for the tip. I found a pic of it, then went out hunting for it. Found it under the big birch tree that my cat uses to spy on the neighbors

Reply to
Eigenvector

Galium sp., betcha.

Kay Lancaster