Green potatoes

Page 6 of 7
On 13/06/2014 10:56 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

You don't need to find people older than you to learn or find out about those times - there is plenty of social history on the Net that will tell you about the food, the clothes, the transport etc of most of the decades of the 30th century.
Because I am interested in older crafts (spinning, weaving, knitting, embroidery, garment sewing [on one of my geriatric sewing machines that include treadle and hand crank]) and what is now a reasonably old fashioned style of living (cooking from base ingredients, gardening, home maintenance etc) we find the Net a wonderful resource where we can find like minded people who have similar interests. My husband likes geriatric European sports cars of the 1920s through to the early 1950s.

I too recall those times. As a child it was a rare treat to travel to a tiny town 10 miles away - these days relatives who live in the same area would do that trip at least once a day.

Yep. but one of the other losses was the traditional homemaking skills such as growing food and being able to cook from scratch. The need to keep foods in good order on the shelves and in both the grocery store and in homes for longer resulted in more additives and less 'as nature intended it' products.

IIRC, post WWI was a starting point for the commercial availability of canned food as opposed to made at home from scratch ingredients. After the end of WWII came the really big changes to how food in the home changed from, say, the 19th century. As you said, all those amazing things needed because of war technology just got applied to the rest of society from those great modern tractors in paddocks (fields) on through the production chain and into leisure too.
Drew Lawson wrote:

I think you are on the right track. One of the turning points in Oz was after WW2 when cars became cheap enough for nearly every family to own one. People stopped walking and riding bikes. Kids used to be so proud when they got their first bike now they wait for the car. If I went to visit my cousins as a boy (say 1960) during school holidays we were not allowed in the house during the day unless it was raining. We were expected to go out and run about, play a ball sport, build a fortress, explore the neighbourhood, ride billycarts. Then such a rule was not exceptional but reasonable common sense, try imposing that rule today.
On Friday, June 13, 2014 4:16:41 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott wrote:

We were so poor we never HAD a car. Once in a while the neighbors took us somewhere. I get every form of motion sickness.(Even got it while hang-gli ding in tandem with instructor. He said we're going down and I said NO NO NO He said "I've been thrown up on before and it's not going to happen aga in." Holy tamale; I was just a tad queasy!!!)
Anyway, I often disgraced myself; didn't always get to the window of neighb or's car in time...
Back to playtime: We also went out to play and came home when it got dark. Nobody worried about kidnapping or molesters back then. Maybe they exist ed, but we never heard about them.
Sigh!
HB
On 06/13/2014 04:27 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

<ToddSpeak> Hi Higgs,
I bet boats drive you nuts!
Try taking a capsule of ginger powder before starting said motion. Won't make you sleepy either. Safe to drive with.
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2882%2992205-X/abstract
I can only get a hold of the abstract. I had the whole article at one time. They want $36 for the full article now. And, well, at $36, I don't like you that much! :-)
If I remember correctly, the Lancet research double blinded ginger against over the counter anti-nausea drugs (I believe it was Dramamine), then spun you around and tried to make you vomit.
Here is a LONG WINDED (even worse than me) article on Ginger: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK92775/
If you scroll down to "7.6.3. Ginger as an Antinausea Agent", it talks a lot about the double blinds, etc..
-T
If you read the LONG WINDED article, you will notice all the "side benefits" (traditional herbal medicine), as opposed to the "side effects" that you get by using controlled dosages of poisons (drugs) that the allopaths use. Not that allopathic drugs don't have their place, just they are a pretty poor choice for long term use.
</ToddSpeak>
On 06/13/2014 06:03 PM, Todd wrote:

Here is a really cheap one at $2.49 https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-ginger-root-540-mg-100-caps

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped
On Friday, June 13, 2014 6:03:52 PM UTC-7, Todd wrote:

-gliding in tandem with instructor. He said we're going down and I said NO NO NO He said "I've been thrown up on before and it's not going to happen again."

xisted, but we never heard about them.

Thanks, Todd -- I've tried ginger, wrist bands, marezine (I don't take dram amine), & on & on.
Guess I'm just one of those folks who didn't get the standard issue semi-ci rcular canals in the ear.
But in the context of my otherwise blinding perfection,'tis a small thang.< g> HB
On 06/14/2014 07:27 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

¡Ay, caramba! That sucks. Ginger works really well on me.

Have you noticed that you talk to yourself a lot?
--
Drew Lawson | Radioactive cats have
| 18 half-lives
On 06/13/2014 08:27 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

And to you too.

I'll just call you "Todd," but you might not appreciate the meaning I attach to it.
--
|Drew Lawson | Mrs. Tweedy! |
| | The chickens are revolting! |
On 06/13/2014 08:35 PM, Drew Lawson wrote:

Works for me
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

David, Not that you are doing much better.
Todd, log what you eat for a week and post it.
?-)
On 06/14/2014 06:53 PM, josephkk wrote:

Hi Joesphkk,
That would be a major undertaking. I will if you are hurt (T2 Diabetes) and you think it would help you. Basically I consume between 30 and 60 grams of carbohydrates a day.
I also keep a list of the traditional medicines (Herbs) I use and the double blinds, etc. to back them up, if you need those.
I can also give you links to great Paleo cooking groups. (I make my first successful Mousakka from a posting two weeks ago.)
And I can also send you the Paleo food pyramid, so you can see the types of food I eat.
-T
josephkk wrote:

In what way?

Market?

Nonsense. All vertebrates store excess food as FAT (hydrocarbon chains). Including intake of fats.

There has to be a market for this to happen.

Ummm. They are in the business of selling insulin?

OK so what else is there to eat? Fiber? Rocks? Meat? All have their drawbacks.

I prefer grass fed thank you, it is their natural food.

On 06/14/2014 09:49 PM, josephkk wrote:

The free and open exchange of good and services between consenting parties

True.

Not necessarily. The diet industry has caught on to this, which is way all the low carb diets (south beach, akins, etc.). (I almost said South Park. Chuckle)
It is called the Krebs or citric acid cycle. What you don't use, you pee or blow off. You smell like a fruit salad -- smell pretty good too (I did).
By the way, you can eat zero carbs and still have high blood sugar. (My overly friendly liver keeps me in more blood sugar than I care for. Makes it from fat.) That is probably where the fat comes from that you are thinking about. All it takes is a little bit of stress and up your blood sugar goes (your liver thinks you are running for your life).

True. Enough folks get Celiac or T2 Diabetes, and one will develop. I have no trouble finding food I can eat.

You mean the ADA? If so, no. They are in the business of selling services for diabetics. The condition goes away, they go away. They always have their hands outstretched for money too. They have a self interest in treating, not curing.
The Allopathic community also has a self interest in treat not curing. Another word for Diabetic is "cash cow".
If you go to http://www.diabetes-warrior.net , you can get everything you need to know about healing yourself. This information was withheld from me. "Here, take these drugs".
My opinion, every Diabetic drug will eventually end its life cycle in a class action suit. I will love it when I get my letter on Metformin. Hate the s***. I will sign up for that suit, even if I only get $2.00 out of it.

Natural things (no test tube food). Here is a really good description:
http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/a-meal-plan-you-can-live-with/diabetic-nutritional-chart/
In this order: proteins, eggs, cheese, fats, oils, fibrous veggies, nuts, fibrous fruits.
In other words, don't eat anything that has been artificially hybridized for carbs. And, you have to cook it yourself. Remember when Grandma use to cook up a bunch of food for the week and stuff it in the freezer? Well, that is your new fast food. (She didn't have a microwave.)
And, you can eat a hamburger out. In-and-out have a "protein style" burger (no bread) that you can get with mustard instead of spread. I go for triples and quads. They are really good. (Bear in mind I can now taste my food again.)
In order: 1) grow it or catch it yourself, 2) local organic farms, 3) production organic farms, 4) conventional. Just approximate; don't obsess.
The grow it yourself thing is why I am trying to learn to garden.

1+
Grain fed gives them ulcers. We are not support to eat sick animals. That is what vultures and ants are for.
By the way, wheat is a grass. Feed the whole plant to the cows and you have grass fed. Even better yet, feed the grains to chickens and the stocks to cows. I will eat them both! Bring on the rosemary!
When I first got T2, I fretted that I would not have anything left I could eat. I learned that was definitely not the case. I set out to teach myself to cook. I now eat more variety and better food now than I have ever eaten in my life. One of the things I had to get past was trying to duplicate the high carbs things I use to like.
Here is the thing about cooking and carbs. Carbs have little or not taste and are simply carriers for other flavors. Once you get past that, it starts getting easy. Well, when you stop burning butter, eggplant, eggs. Of goodness gracious, eggplant STINKS up the house when you burn it! (Rosemary goes really great on chicken, by the way.)
And, from comments I have read on the Paleo cooking group, when you switch kids over to Paleo, they hardly even notice. The food is really good!
-T
On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 14:48:01 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@furrfu.invalid (Drew Lawson) wrote:

Yadda Yadda Yadda.
Check these links on food production and exports:
http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0712/top-agricultural-producin g-countries.aspx
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/world-top-ten-agricultural-expor ters-map.html
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/TX.VAL.FOOD.ZS.UN
Some of this surprised me.
?-)
On 06/14/2014 10:24 PM, josephkk wrote:

Fascinating! Thank you for sharing.
I wonder how much more we'd export if we stopped subsidizing corn for biofuels. You can't even eat that stuff! For the first time in American history, farmers that raises this stuff can't eat from their own crops!
I am not against biofuels. What ever works. I am against popping others over the head to pay for it (extortion through the color of authority, also known as taxes.)
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

Sounds like you have never had any of the good stuff. My local supermarkets have good lamb. I like goat and venison and feral pig as well.
?-)
On 06/14/2014 10:50 PM, josephkk wrote:

Hi Josephkk,
I think you are correct. I can smell the scat (polite farmer talk for livestock s***) on the pork I get from the supermarket. Dry as hell too. Really gross.
Saw a documentary on a guy who raises organic apples (way to high carb for me). He runs pigs through the orchard to dispose of all the fallen apples. Plows the scat under for fertilizer. The full circle thing. He has a waiting line for his pork. I want some of that pork!
Goodness gracious, I wonder what they are doing to the lamb at the supermarket? YUK! tastes like a cross between pork and venison.
If we ever get a Whole Food or similar down here I will get more adventurous!
I don't know if you have seen my other rantings, but I think that people don't like produce because it tastes like scat (polite Todd Speak for "crap"). They need to try some home grown or local grown. I have to discipline myself to stop eating the stuff!
-T