green pepper eater

We like green peppers, so I start them inside, set the tray of seedlings outside for a week, then transplant them into the garden. Some insect or animal eats off the leaves after we transplant them, and they die.

We solved the problem by placing large canning jars over the seedlings for a few days. I'm really curious what kind of pest would attack a newly planted seedling, but won't attack it a week or two later when we remove the jars. No other seedlings are attacked. Any ideas? This is in Ohio, zone 5.

Reply to
Not

Rabbits and deer. And, you'd better watch out with those canning jars. They're going to act like little greenhouses and cook your plants. It's not a matter of "if", but "when".

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It could also be snails, or cutworms. Try going outside with a flashlight one evening to check on them.

Snails can be controlled with a dish of beer. They climb inside and drown. Icky, but effective!

Not@home wrote:

Reply to
Laura at theGardenPages