green moss ?-(

We have a fine (8'x10') grape arbor under which the grass has been replaced by a green ground moss that kinda reminds me of similar yuck I used to see back in my salad days when I would climb some of the mountains here in rocky New England.

How might I safely get rid of it ?

Is there a grass that would like to grow in such a shady area?

Ciao, OldAck.

Reply to
THURSTON.ACKERMAN

Real lime (not powdered limestone sold as "lime"). Get it from a tile dealer. $5 for a 50lb bag.

Reply to
Stubby

Lime may well get rid of the moss, but unless you change the favorable growing conditions, the moss will come back. Moss tends to favor moist, compacted soil.

Also, if your soil is at all alkaline, the lime will make it more so -- not usually a good thing.

Fescue grasses will grow in shady areas. If you don't have success growing fescue, maybe it's too dry for turf under the arbor?? Maybe forget the turf and go for pavers or mulch.

Good luck! Suzy O, Zone 5, Wisconsin

Reply to
Suzy O