Green, leaf-like insect

I have found a number of green, flat, leaf-like insects in my garden and I'm wondering if they are good or bad. Should I leave them alone or dispatch them to green, leaf-like insect heaven? They are about 1cm long.
--
jenann

Sounds like it might be a katydid, part of the grasshopper family. http://bugguide.net/node/view/29605
They do eat foliage and sometimes munch on flowers and buds, depends on the exact species. If you don't have a whole herd of them over running through your garden I personally wouldn't worry about it. You could use a BT (Bacillus thuringensis) based pest control if they become a major problem. Otherwise the birds will eat some and you can enjoy their evening symphony.
Val

green lacewing and see if that is what you have
--

09=ix