Grasshoppers

Is there anything I can put on my garden to deter or kill grasshoppers, without hurting my ladybugs? I am starting to see hundreds of small grasshoppers, and I know they will grow up to be big ones and destroy my plants! But I have so many ladybugs in the garden which are very beneficial, so I don't want to kill them too! Any ideas?
Thanks! Angie
opined:

This is the perfect time to use a biological control called Nosema locustaea. It is sold under the brand name of Nolo Bait. It is a toxin carried in a soy and/or wheat substrate which grasshoppers love. They eat it and die. Since they are also cannibals, the larger hoppers which eat the dead ones also get infected. It is very specific to grasshoppers. The time you put it out is when you start to see they nymphs. One container may cost up to 20 dollars, but it is enough for an acre.
Victoria
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html

A microbial insecticide called Nosema locustae is sold under various trade names for grasshopper control. This is a protozoan disease that occurs naturally among grasshoppers and has been commercialized by mass production under laboratory conditions. It does not affect other, beneficial, insects in your garden. sed5555
On 03 Jun 2004 04:25:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Sed5555) opined:

And I will add it is usually only effective when you first start to see the nymphs.
Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend? http://www.animaux.net/stern/present.html
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 01:18:16 -0500, "junkyardcat"

Nosema Iocustae
https://w108.webminders.com/buglogical/catalog.asp?action=showCatalog&typeNumber &&sectionNumberB
It claims up to 90% effective but .. that would probably be expecting a bit much.
Another page that just has some useful info.. and mentions nosema locustae says 50%.
http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072510846/student_view0/biological_controls.html
I've had grasshopper problems every summer here in the Arkansas Ozarks. This year I tried Semaspore Bait from Nitron Industries here in Northwest Arkansas. It is also "Nosema locustae" as was stated in other posts. I spread it about 6-8 weeks ago, so far, so good. I have seen a couple tiny grasshoppers but not the destruction I have seen in past years. According to there literature, it will carry on over at least another year and is not harmful to humans, pets or wildlife. Their website is www.nitron.com They have many other natural products as well.
Judy