Grass to garden -- what's the best approach?

Page 5 of 5

I have a better idea: People like me install a radio sender on their property. On the dog and its owner are shock collars, but with electrical properties identical to Tasers. If either creature gets with 12" of my property line, both creatures end up on the ground, unable to move. Any owner found without the shock collar is fined $1000.00. No checks, no credit cards. They go to jail until a friend or family member shows up with green cash money.
This would also get rid of those stupid 20 foot extendable leashes that some idiot invented. And, dogs owners would be trained to walk in the middle of the street. This would make dog walking so dangerous it might dissuade more people from having them as pets.

Ahhh Spring is in the air And trolling is bursting forth Dou--er--Joe take your hook and line And do some icefishing instead :? )
Emilie

How true!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

The thing that is missing from your scenario is big FENCE (or wall, or 2+ metre hedge) that prevents the dog - or anybody else - from using your property as a toilet.
There are a few people in my street with fences and hedges right up to the public footpath.
Unfortunately, this may be against gubmint regulations in your area.
--
Want Privacy?
http://www.MinistryOfPrivacy.com /

It's not allowed here, either. And, it's a ridiculous idea. I shouldn't have to spend money to prevent antisocial behavior.
By the way, the problem with the conversation above is that the dog owner gave the wrong response. The correct response is "Sure. No problem". There is no other correct response.
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:39:30 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Don't give the contrarian any ammo. If you want to have a test person for your therapy horse, bring him/her here to me! I adore animals, insects, worms, all living things. I would love to have room for a few mules. They are so much more interesting to me than many humans.

I take excellent care of my animals and we work together to give back to the community. I really dislike to be mass-lumped into a dipshit owner catagory for no good reason.

Did you see my horse in my Neon? He's a mini horse. Rides for long periods of time in the backseat of my car -- even going down the I-70 and into Indy for horse demos and such.
Go to: http://community.webshots.com/user/deerhnd and look in the HORSES folder. There's a photo of him taken through the back window of the car. FoxNews out of Indy once took footage of me loading him into the car and driving away from one of the museums where we had spent the day but I don't know if they ever aired it. We certainly get interesting looks driving in the city. When I pull to a stop light, I count to three and then look to either side of me to see who noticed there's a horse in the car next to them. <hee>

Yes, Buddha was right about many things. ;)
FragileWarrior wrote:

It depends what kind of grass it is. If it's bermudagrass nothing will work all that well.
I would probably use Roundup to kill the grass. Wait a few days, then mow it really short, and plant over the top of it. Use some kind of mulch. If you disturb the soil, weed seeds that have been lying dormant for years will start to sprout.
Best regards, Bob
FragileWarrior wrote:
Derryl Wrote:
Rent a sod cutter, strip all of the sod then rototill the bed. Otherwise spray the lawn with roundup and then till it.