Grass to garden -- what's the best approach?

Page 4 of 5
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:41:36 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
I like a good debate. You are very rigid on this subject and I can't say I blame you because when the neighbor cat stalks the wild birds I get annoyed. Or one time we accidentally trapped it in our garage for a very long day in extremely high heat. I was not angry or annoyed at the cat, but at the a-hole owners who let the cat roam without care.
So, I'm going to return to my other subjects of interest and I truly hope it gets resolved for you.
Victoria

I'm thinking of hiring a witch with some bad mojo to take care of this. I'm envisioning dogs being pecked to death by birds, like in the Alfred Hitchcock movie. :-)
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 03:52:38 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Witches don't DO bad mojo. That's a myth. They'd certainly never do that to an animal. I know you're joking, but all one has to watch is any of those animal cop shows to see clearly how animals are so abused it tears your heart out.
It's never the fault of the animal.

It's the fault of the people who choose to *have* animals in places they don't belong. If you lived in a neighborhood of 1/8th acre lots and your neighbor came home from somewhere with a dozen hogs as pets, this point would be clearly illustrated.
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 14:06:12 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Look, I watch the Dog Whisper every week. It's always the fault of the dogs owner. Why would anyone buy a boarder collie if they live in the city? The poor dog needs a job and is bred to do the job. So when the dog tries to round up the family, children, snapping at their ankles, they bring the poor thing to the pound. So, the dog is dead because anyone knowing anything would never buy a border collie in the city.
People are very ignorant. My point is, so am I in certain areas. It's my job to educate myself on my own mind. We can go around and around, but you know damn well if someone came home with a dozen hogs (I adore pigs) the deed restrictions set up by the city would prevent that from happening in city limits. So, c'mon.

This is true. People who want a border collie should first be required to meet with someone knowledgable about the breed. They should have to sit through a video of these dogs doing their thing, and be asked a dozen times "Is this what you want, 24x7, 365 days a year?"
A relative on my wife's side had a border collie. She called its behavior "exuberant". One day, we went to this woman's home for dinner. I came straight from work, in a business suit. Her dog leapt onto the jacket, got its claws caught in the outer pocket, fell, and tore the entire left panel off the jacket. Too bad it was a Hickey-Freeman suit. It cost the woman some major money to replace the jacket. But, as the dog came tearing through the house toward us, she said "Oh look how happy she is to see you!"
Dumb.
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 16:05:39 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

This is why I am cloistered away in my house most of the time. It cuts down on the amount of aggrivation I have. I limit my aggrivation to people who actually matter so I can work on my mind to quiet that part of me down.
My sister in law bought a Veeshla (it is misspelled I'm lazy) and the dog is a completely hyper active ping pong ball. She jumps on everyone and behaves like a nutcase.
My SIL went on vacation and I volunteered to watch the dog for two weeks and not one time did this dog act like a nutcase. Obviously it was the owner who has the negative energy the dog reacts to. Now SIL is divorced and the dog is locked in a room a lot of the time and she hates the dog. I offered to take her, but she said her kids couldn't live without her. Huh? IT'S A DOG! So torture the poor animal. Yeah, that's nice.

I wonder sometimes if some people get dogs because they think it'll occupy their kids. This way, they don't have to.
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:50:07 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I don't think in this case that is true, but I will say they got this particular breed because it was some sort of status shit. The puppy cost them 1500 dollars because she was sired by some big poobah show dog. Clearly, the reason NOT to buy a dog. I feel so bad for this poor thing, but we now have a parrot and that breed is a hunting dog who points at birds and she is lightening fast like a greyhound!
Feh.

I'll take squirrels any time. I can't believe anyone pays money to go to a circus and see high-wire tricks done by a bunch of wimps who need safety nets, when all they have to do is sit in the back yard and see squirrels defying all known laws of physics all day long. Amazing.
In article snipped-for-privacy@kopan.com says...

You can say this about any large or medium sized breed. According to your logic everyone in the city should stick to small yap yap dogs. I live in a very congested city area with no yard at all and have two BCs, one 11 and a new Blue Merle puppy. The nice thing about BCs is that since they are the smartest dog there is they can be trained easily and can adapt to their environment far easier than any other breed. With any breed of dog if the owner doesn't assert themselves as pack leader then the dog will have problems -- and BCs will especially have problems if the owner doesn't clamp down on them hard because then they think they can get away with things. Too many people treat their dogs like children and that's what causes problems -- not because they live in a congested city environment.

There are plenty of tasks for BCs to do in the city.

There are very few pure bred BCs at the pound or on petfinder.com (in fact there were none on petfinder.com the last I looked). BCs are very expensive dogs.

Not the babies fault if there isn't.

So why are you blaming dog owners. Why not just blame this "person"?

A dog doesn't purposely pee on your garden because it annoys you. It doesn't even consciously think about it.
Jen

The point is this, Jen: The parent installs the locks because they address one of the requirements for being a good parent: Keeping the baby from harm. Therefore, the parent's behavior has changed because of the presence of the baby.
The dog owner's behavior changes because of the dog, too. The dog needs exercise. The dog needs "bathrooms". If the dog didn't exist, the problem with their waste products would not exist.
Now, before you respond as I know you want to, consider this: All urban and suburban areas have laws regarding what types of animals we can have on our property. Why?

Because of an erroneous group of words: "I'm a good dog owner". Even the "good" ones walk around causing problems. We have a couple of strays here. Guess where they sniff around to take a dump? Exactly where the "good" dog owners cleaned up after their pets. So, the "good" people are setting up their neighbors for more annoyances.

Does the dog owner leave the house with the dog intentionally, or is the dog owner somehow unaware of his/her actions? I think that qualifies as dementia.

Once again the owners fault, not the dog's!!

But, it *does* qualify as intent.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Huh? What a strange idea.
Dog owners knowingly walking the dog down the street, watching it dump a big pile of shit on the public footpath, and then then consciously proceeding along? Without even thinking of cleaning it up?
I'm sure that they don't even know that it happened. And they cannot be expected to deal with such esoteric ideas. Such as your personal, idiosyncratic displeasure with the dog shit piles.
I mean, really... Perhaps next you will suggest that cigarette smokers have some kind of responsibility or control over where their butts magically land?
Don't you comprehend? These things just "Happen" all by themselves. Haven't you ever heard that saying - "Shit Happens"?
You are so judgmental for implying otherwise.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

most
hurt a

before
address
harm.
the
problem
and
our
town
the
the
here.
dog
in
any
from
the
dog
once dog has finished having a dump dog owner can pick up poop in a plastic bag, take it home and throw under hedge as fertiliser. Streets stay clean, poop gets used as it should be (fertiliser) and hedge benefits from a nice feed once poop breaks down.
rob
says...

(Sigh)
There I was, whinging about people leaving their dogs' shit-piles on the footpath.
And then, what did I see, right next to the footpath, less than a metre from the stairs to my place?
A used condom.
Savages.
At least I hope it didn't involve a dog.
And this is a decent suburb... grumble, grumble...
--
Want Privacy?
http://www.MinistryOfPrivacy.com /

Sometimes, they walk for 15 minutes and never realize their dog's crapping on someone else's lawn. I admit that it's confusing, since houses come in so many different colors and have different cars in the driveway. One's head can end up in a swirl of details, impossible to organize. How is one to know that they've left their own property? Perhaps some sort of electronic device, you know?

LOL Oh good, Joe's got his sense of humor back The Seizure has past.........
Hey wait a minute, you might have a solution here: How about a long tether/leash for the Human. Attach little tags at the interval that each house occurs: Joe's house is 60' so the tag is RED-no potty here then at 120 feet, Sue's house-GREEN, potty OK BLUE might be Number 1 OK, Number 2 not ok etc. Yes life is difficult. I was about to send you a Gopher, so you could see what destruction it can cause While sitting on patio, watched entire Peruvian Scilla pulled underground. Bottom half of Cannas eaten. I think its a female about to become a mother. I can send you a few if you like. Now there's another solution: trained gopher pulls plant underground just as dog pees!
Emilie