Grass to garden -- what's the best approach?

Page 2 of 5

I like mint, but I'm realistic about it. I know people who rue the day they planted it, because now, it's everywhere in their yard and there's nothing they can do to stop it. At the local farmer's market, I once asked an herb grower about containing it. She said she had two concrete cisterns installed in part of her property, just for mint and horseradish.
Dogs are another story. They train their humans to do antisocial or illegal things.

You know what I meant. :) Dogs smell like dogs.

eYOW! Whatta bizarre statement.
My dogs are trained as Therapy Dogs and visit hospitals, nursing homes and handicapped children. (And one of my horses is going to do the same soon.) As for me, I've never even gotten so much as a speeding ticket. All in all, my dogs and myself are pretty social and always law abiding, I think. :)

Admittedly, my negative experiences are with people who walk dogs in my neighborhood. Even the so-called "good dog owners" who clean up after their dogs are idiots. Why do I say that? Look at the brief conversation below and tell me what's wrong with it. Scenario: Dog, on leash, taking a leak at the perimeter of a flower bed that is two feet from the street.
Me: Excuse me, would you please NOT let your dog use my property as a toilet in the future? Dog criminal: Why?
That's it. What's wrong with the conversation?
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:47:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Maybe you should move where there is nothing but you. That way, you can determine every situation with great vigor.

Need help figuring out what's wrong with the conversation? Here:
You hear an odd noise outside your front door. You look out the window and see someone spray painting the door. You ask him to stop. He asks "Why?"
What's wrong with the conversation?
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:32:56 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I didn't question the conversation. I said if you don't want people walking dogs where you live you can do one of two things;
Move to the country on huge property where people don't walk dogs. Let it go.

You are illustrating the multifaceted problem for me. Thank you.
Facet 1: Some dog owners think everyone is supposed to love their dog. That is incorrect. Facet 2: Some dog owners don't understand the concept of private property. If I tell you not to do something on my land, you have no legal leg to stand on by refusing to obey.
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:21:38 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I fully understand. Kill a cow, not problem. If they did that to poodles and wore their fur the entire earth would freak out!
I am not telling you to be okay with this problem, but unfortunately the only way around it is to do one of the two things I suggested. We have cat and dog ordinances here and my neighbor still continues to let his cats out. Nobody likes him, but his entire life is full of horrible strife. Nobody gets out of here alive, if you get my drift.

I don't have strife. I'm training dog owners. It's easy to do. It's hard to explain, though. Everybody creates their own belief systems. Some people believe their kids are perfect. Some believe their dogs are deities.
snipped-for-privacy@kopan.com says...

I just got another TWO copies of a flier that relates to previous fliers in my mailbox.
Somebody pleading about a male cat going around the area, marking his territory. And asking his unidentified owner (servant) to have him neutered. Which will apparently also "fix" either the urinating habit, or the smell.
I dunno... I've only seen one cat in my garden, and haven't seen or smelled any spraying. S/he's not mine. But s/he whines really loud, and extorts me for little bowls of milk, frequently.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /

Even castrated male cats can still spray. It would be better for the cat to have plain water and not milk. They do not have that digestion enzyme for dairy after they are weaned and it gives them the runs.
We do have a visiting cat. Stalks the birds. So, we built a huge brushpile in a circle so by the time the cat gets there, it will make noise to alert the birds and they can take cover in the brush.
I have two pair of Cardinal's this year. They are cheeping their brains out right now. I look forward to the babies.

That's just an inconsiderate and rude person. Not the dogs fault. Just because a person has a dog doesn't mean they become inconsiderate and rude.
Je

Actually, Jen, he's a troll. Don't feed him.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

I'm not a troll. I've been gardening for 35 years, and I contribute useful information. But, are there no subjects about which you feel strongly? If you're asked about them, do you respond with anything less than total honesty?
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:56:43 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I don't think you're a troll, but I think you have some issues to work out. We all have them. Everyone has their sacred cow, so to speak and your front plants seem to be yours.
I choose not to have destructive thoughts any more. I fall short most of the time, but I aspire toward that aim. The only one who suffers from hating is me.ds

I think plants are vastly superior to people and dogs in every possible way, so I guess that's why I don't give dog-people any slack whatsoever. I will say that I have met exactly two dogs in my entire life who I considered to be honorable. Just two.
I Beg You...PLEASE DON"T PLANT THE MINT!
My neighbor planted some on his side of the fence years ago and it crept into my yard. I mowed and mowed and it crept and crept eventually into my roses and across the walk and...EVERYWHERE!!! Arrghh!
I now have new neighbors and they dug up their mint and I spent THREE DAYS digging up mine. I'm sure I'll see more this year as it will grow from every piece of root I missed.
So I beg you...PLEASE STOP!!!
I can't wait till spring!
How about a lovely hosta garden, they will spread out and keep all the weeds down around them.
Mike

Now that's a good idea. Pachysandra, too. Spreads, but easy to whack when necessary.

I'd stay away from Ajuga and Hops. Mint was never a problem here easily pulled. Lemon Balm pops up here and there. Then again I have black bamboo about. Actually Chick weed and moss are getting my attention more these days. Moss on our brick patio was not fazed by being limed. I just bought a torch for deicing that can double as a moss slayer.
Bill whose front yard is nothing but Pachysandra and perennials.
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:56:56 -0500, William Wagner

I couldn't believe when I saw three varieties of moss at HOME DEPOT! I bought a quart of each and just now divided them into 18 plants. I did the same thing with pineapple sage, lysimachia, tomatoes, etc. When I shop for plants I always make sure there is more than one plant in each pot.