Grass Seed/Planting

I am about to start a new lawn and wanted to get some recommendations on seed. I have read several places that you should buy the best you can - trying to save money on the seed isn't worth it in the long run. So, what brand/type is the best? Is there anything I should look for besides the lowest percentage of weeds? I think that is listed on every package, correct? I am probably looking to get a fescue or fescue/bluegrass mix. I have also read that seed can degrade in the heat and over time. Where is the best place to get fresh/well kept seed? Would Lowe's or Walmart be good enough? Are there good internet dealers?

Also, I am tilling up what grass and weeds I currently have on the site and fertilizing before planting. I have already killed it all with roundup. Do I need to remove all the dead grass and weeds, or can I leave them in the soil after tilling? Seems to me they would just add some organic material (which the soil could use).

Reply to
bthiede

Determine the best seed for your location. What grows well in Georgia may not grow well in Michigan. Look for a dated package that not more than 1 year old.

You should use the seed within a year, six months is better. Store the seed in a cool dry place. Any store should be good. Internet sales would probably have rather costly shipping expenses.

The danger in this method is weed seeds. Crabgrass seeds can remain dormant for 10 years. Have your soil tested to find out if it needs potash, nitrogen, lime, etc. Well composted manure would be a good to till into the soil.

Reply to
Phisherman