grape vines & walnut trees

I would like to start 5 or 6 grape vines on a couple of lots that has a large walnut tree on the edge. Has anyone heard of trouble growing grapes around walnuts? I know tomatoes will not grow in close proximity to walnut trees. Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks
--
Ken Davies

'03 ARCTICCAT 400 4X4 manual

In the USA wild grapes are resistant to Juglone (the poison in Walnut trees) and cultivated grapes are susceptible. The toxic zone from a mature tree occurs on average in a 50 to 60 foot radius from the trunk, but can be up to 80 feet.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h407blkwal-t ox.html
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/nursery/430-021/430-021.html
Thanks so much for the info. I have considered cutting the walnut tree down and hadn't made up my mind. Now I know the tree has to go. Thanks again for the info.

Cutting the walnut tree down won't necessarily make the area "safe" for juglone sensitive plants. The toxicity occurs when the roots of the black walnut come into contact with sensitive plants. Check this out for more info: http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/gardenfacts/XHT1017.pdf
Suzy O, Zone 5