Grape Vines all but lost?

I bought 7 Grape Vines, 2 concorde,5 Niagra and planted them on Wednesday of this past week. I am not really sure but I would guess they are a year old as they already had a shoot or two with leaves already open.

I planted them about 6-8 feet apart along my fence. The soil there is pretty much a clay type, however I filled the hole with what the grape was already in and starter fertilizer that contained peat moss, compost and loam. It was foggy overnight, and they looked fine the next morning. HOwever there was a frost warning for Thursday evening so I covered them with plastic bags.. this seemed to make them very angry on Friday as they were soggy on the ends and the leaves had curled up. I replaced the plastic with cut up old curtains ( cotton) the next night as there was frost as well. This morning Saturday I took them off as it is Sunny and about 10 degrees Cel. They still look very sad... The soil is quite wet, and I decided to take off th "soggy" branches. it releaved the stem was still a health moist green inside.

Is there any hope for my grapevines or did the frost kill them?

Reply to
Dinkyam

Probably only time will tell. Plants can be surprisingly resilent if given a chance.

COvering with a plastic bag sounds like a bad idea, unless you take precautions. Plants do need to breathe. So without some opening you'd be trapping all the moisture inside. This would probably result in condensation all along the inside--if this was against the leaves you'd have soggy leaves come morning. The curtains sound like a better idea. I do have some crop covers that let in most of the sunlight, and add warmth, but are breathable, and let water through.

I've read that Grapes like good drainage. I had a potted vine from last year that formed buds, then stopped. I was begining to think it died on me. I just planted it in a space out back and the soil was incredibly wet in the pot. I think the overly wet conditions wre killing it. Hopefully I will see it recover in the next week.

The only treatment I could suggest is liquid seaweed fertilizer(I use Saltwater Farms Organic Seaweed Concentrate). I use it on any stressed plants. It was suggested in the book BOUNTIFUL CONTAINER (very recommended for the container-vegetable gardener). I've had very positive results. It has no nitrogen but potassium and potash and lots of micronutrients. I've used it on seedlings, seedsoaking, as a boost during growth spruts and fruiting, and defintiely whenever my plants are sickly from my abuse or something more natural.

Good Luck

snipped-for-privacy@eastl>I bought 7 Grape Vines, 2 concorde,5 Niagra and planted them on

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY,

Reply to
DigitalVinyl

they will probably be fine. They evolved to withstand late frosts. Even if they will lose leaves now they will releaf later.

Reply to
simy1