Grafting japanese maples

What kind of maple tree do you graft onto? What tree works the best? Thanks for any help.
Pat
Acer palmatum is the normal grafting stock for Acer palmatum.
Pat wrote:

In most cases you have to graft the plant onto the same species for it to work, though sometimes things can be grafted on stock from the same genus (euonymus tree froms are grafted on burning bush stock) or sometimes from the same family but a different genus. Japanese maples are usually grafted on plain old Acer palmatum rootstock.
Toad
Thank you for your response. I knew to graft them onto Japanese Maples and have seen some plain Acer Palmatum's for less than the known culivars so wonderered if I could use them for my grafting (when I get started, this is all new to me and am learning) Thank you very much for your kind response! Patti