grackle wars, worm news, etc.

today was the first pigbird sighting (northern hemisphere, mid-michigan). the grackle family was clumped at the top of the big dead tree along the north side, surveying their potential domain.

a few plinks with the air rifle later and they departed for the rest of the day. i hope they do not get established this year with our yard being their territory (like it was last year -- it took me quite some time to chase them off).

it was also the first day of red-wing blackbirds being around. Ma and i were just talking about expecting them soon and here they are.

so soon, it will be gardening season yet again. :) :) :)

have to get the strawberries uncovered.

all winter i've been having great fun with worms and worm composting of various veggie/fruit scraps, shredded paper, egg shells. plus testing reconditioning techniques for clay soil. more fun than a mere human should ever be allowed. and a great excuse to get my hands in the dirt (and sometimes mudpies) all winter. i'll leave details for another message... haha.

basic garden plans this year:

- more beans, many kinds, turning the red patch into a bean patch.

- moving the second clump of rhubarb

- fix the grape trellis

recent reading:

_1491_, by (thomas?) Mann. for the historically interested person who wonders what things used to be like. i never considered the specifics of the passenger pigeon extinction or that there were bison in the eastern USoA areas, or that it was so heavily managed.

so thanks Billy for putting that one on my radar again. :)

peace,

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I'm pleased that you liked it. Fascinating book.

Reply to
Billy