Government in your garden

Another article -- in the Washington Post -- on the infamous case where the woman who made her front lawn into a (neat, beautiful) veg garden has been ordered to demolish it and replace with more conventional plantings.

she hangs in there, and hope people write and encourage her! And criticize the =F6ver-intrusive entitity that is bothering her.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I see nothing wrong with this. If we just had grass we all could eat well at anytime. It is easy too do. Just graft Cow cuds on all humans at birth and we will all be happy ruminants. Some of us already act like sheep.

Fescue anyone?

Reply to
Bill who putters

I'm sure she'd appreciate cash more than kind words.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Ahh home of the brave, land of the free......

I would love to see the Act or Regulations. If it really does say "grass, ground cover, shrubbery or other suitable live plant material." then it comes down to some petty official determining what is suitable. Seems like a a good day for a fight to me. And gaol time for a (presumed) first offence? Wow!

The interesting part is that such officials would generally claim, and quite possibly believe, that they are acting on behalf of the majority. Aside from the broader question of the circumstances where it is reasonable for the majority to impress their will on the minority, I wonder if that is in fact what the majority wants and when were they last consulted.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@r11g2000prd.googlegroups.com... Another article -- in the Washington Post -- on the infamous case where the woman who made her front lawn into a (neat, beautiful) veg garden has been ordered to demolish it and replace with more conventional plantings. ______________________________________ You'd get more current news by reading her blog:

FarmI

After they were threatened with jail time, and had hires a lawyer.

However the other article

about Brits unplugging from the grid made Oak Park, Michigan seem down right enlightened. A family is trying to survive with subsistence farming, in Britain that imports about half of its food, is being told to cease and desist, or else.

Farming government out to the local schills needs to be reconsidered, and control of government should be reclaimed by the citizenry.

Reply to
Billy

Given the circumstances, I'm not surprised they've been asked to cease and desist or else. "Planning permission to live and work on the land was refused in 2009 which they are appealing against."

'd expect to be asked to do exactly the same thing if I moved onto land without first getting approval for doing so for the dwelling I was going to live in permanently.

Similar rules apply in all western countries.

Local authorities will often turn a blind eye to a certain extent but there is usually a limit to how long, and how far one can push the rules before local authorities will take action.

We have an off grid house on our other farm, but before we put it there, we applied for development approval for the house and then varied the plan to install a slow combustion range to heat our water and to cook on and we've had a number of interim inspections of things such as the foundations, the septic system etc, etc. The last inspection would have been at least 15 years ago and although we don't have approval to 'occupy' the house, any current inspector would have to wonder why there are beds in the house, china in the cupboards and towels on the towel rails etc.

Reply to
FarmI