Got my veggie plants

To save my self aggravation and to support local farms and nurseries, I went to my favorite farm stand yesterday and got my starts. Sweet Gold, black and green cherry tomatoes and a grape tomato and 4 cucumber plants. And Ginger Ale Huechera (yellow green flowers)....

Hopefully today will give be some time to get them in the ground. Depends on the errands and the weather. This year I'm going to cluster them near the top of the hill in the perennial bed so watering is easier.

The daffodils have about gone their course and the hostas all seem to have survived the winter.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

IIRC, I am south of you, and I see it is predicted to be 34F Monday night. Therefore, I am just as happy that I haven't planted my tomatoes yet. I will need to cart everything into the garage, just in case it is a teeny bit colder than that.

Good luck with your babies.

Reply to
Jean B.

Saw the severe weather alert when I loaded the local station's home page. So, I'll be out covering up the plants tonight. I have plenty of old blankets. My neighbor is in worse shape. She got many more plants.

Stay warm!

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Sigh. I hope your plants survive, Cheryl. I brought my numerous pots in and decided NOT to get my other tomato plants today. My rhubarb is out though.

The current forecast is up 1 degree to 35F here, but my specific location tends to be colder, and I want to play it safe.

Reply to
Jean B.

Can't say I blame you. It got to 34 here, no visible frost when I got up on anything and I've taken the blankets off the plants. Everything looks great.

It's supposed to finally warm up here now. It's been very chilly for May.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C637FD63.9BEB2% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

we had frost on the roof, but the plants on the ground were all fine. i bought a lavender rose, own root & got a free replacement for my Bishop's Castle that succumbed over the winter (i'm sure it's my fault, but i mentioned it at Agway & they replaced it). i think own root roses do better here though. i have a wheelbarrow load of hostas looking for a new space... been sitting for almost a week now. i thought the neighbor across the street was going to come get them, but i guess he's not.

that'd be nice. my tomatoes want to go outside, along with the house plants :p lee

Reply to
enigma

What kind of hostas Lee?

I can give you a couple of "blue leafed rose" seedlings too

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I dunno what it was here, because we had a late start that day. It was 37 when I looked, but the temperature was rising rapidly at that point.

Yesterday, I picked up my last 2 (out of a mere 3) tomato plants being optimistic that the temperature won't be so low again. (I need to be more diligent about saving seeds from them.) Indeed, tomorrow will be in the 90s. Yuck.

Reply to
Jean B.

Is there still threat of frost there, Lee?

Reply to
Jean B.

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C63954A5.9BF29% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

good question. old varieties. one is a solid green, medium large leaves, purple flowers & very robust. it's happy to grow just about anywhere i throw it, even without actually planting it. it gets large fairly quickly (needs dividing around every 2-3 years). the other is slower growing, varigated green & cream, also has purple flowers. this one doesn't like wet feet apparently, as the ones i moved to the bog died. don't suppose i can interest you in ditch lilies too? ;)

that'd be cool. what growing conditions do they prefer? i have some rugosa seeds i'm trying to start (from Niagra Falls). i'm ambitiously attempting to relandscape the front yard & side entry areas (only an acre & a half). it's going to involve a lot of rock moving, since i'm going to make the pathways from flat rocks (granite) & fill around them with creeping thyme & those tiny pinks (cheddar pinks, i think?) if i manage that, i want to pave the areas where the grill & the clotheslines are in the same way... but i think i'd get cobbles for the grill & clothesline areas. i expect they'd look better a tad more formal. lee

Reply to
enigma

Lets try and get together!

Cheryl