gophers

Hello again,
Anyone have any real life tips on trapping gophers? After reading up on it on some forum I went and got some of the simple Victor traps that were touted as so effective. Well the result has been the same every day. In the morning the traps are sprung but no gopher. Some googling didn't turn up anything substantially more effective looking trapwise.
I really don't want to have to escalate this but I can't tolerate this bugger(s) digging up my beds.
Suggestions are welcome
thanks ml
ps. go ahead and knock yourselves out with the caddyshack jokes :P