Golden Chain Tree won't bloom

I have a 5 year old Golden Chain tree ( thats what the nursery tag said) and though it is growing each year it never has bloomed. The tree just has two petal yellow "flowers" each spring randomly in the foliage. I am in Ffld County ct - I have never pruned the tree. Anyone know how to get it to bloom? Thanks, Nancy P.

Reply to
NancyP

"NancyP" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Hi Nancy,

While I have no firsthand experience growing Laburnum, I did see them at the nursery at which I worked. They seem easy to please culturally, here is what Dirr has to say about them:

"CULTURE: Transplant balled-and-burlapped or container-grown in spring as a small tree into moist, well-drained soil; the plant is adaptable to many situations but prefers light shade in the hot part of the day; will not withstand standing water; also cold injury can be a problem; withstands high pH conditions; prune after flowering; should be looked upon as a short-lived tree in the Midwest and probably East; not at all heat tolerant, possibly excessively high night temperatures, and therefore not suitable for the South, although a tree in Spartanburg, SC persists; several newly planted trees in the Milliken Arboretum have died and the remaining plant persists by a thread."

And, as always, whenever I see Laburnum mentioned I add:

" Seeds of LABURNUM contain an alkaloid called cytisine, which can be fatal to children and adults. This compound is contained in all parts of the plant. Supposedly, one small seed can prove toxic to a small child. Extreme care should be exercised when using this plant in a public area."

Here is the famous 'Laburnum Arch' at Bodnant Gardens, Wales:

David Bockman

replying to David Bockman, Gwen Hall wrote: I have one that has never bloomed. A lady at my church that knows alot about flowers, said you have to plant two so they can pollinate each other in order for them to bloom.

Reply to
Gwen Hall