Global warming and your garden

Page 7 of 8

Please, don't go out of your way to corroborate your statement. A statement without corroboration is just opinion.
Article doesn't quite say what you imputed to it.
The article says,"According to the World Wildlife Fund, untreated waste has turned China's Yangtze River basin into the single largest polluter of the Pacific Ocean."
Although it's easy to view China as some sort of ecological evil empire, its fate is entwined with the U.S. appetite for consumption and growth. The United States still holds the title as the world's biggest consumer of world resources and largest emitter of all greenhouse gases. Our per capita emissions dwarf those of China, or any other nation for that matter. An estimated 7 percent of China's carbon-dioxide emissions derive from U.S. consumption of goods made in China. http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jan/china2019s-syndrome/?searchterm=Chin ese%20ocean%20pollution
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

One in five people on this planet is Chinese. I wonder how their per capita profile on pollution looks.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

And you wanted to swim in the non-chlorinated end of the pool;-)
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

(electromagnetic radiation: EMR) in order to raise its' interior temperature, then that is exactly what greenhouse gases are doing. Not to put too fine a point on it, their covalent bonds absorb EMR in multiples of the lowest bond energy. The absorbed energy is converted into kinetic energy which maybe linear, rotational, oscillation (Consider a molecule as a series of weights held together by springs. You can throw the molecule [linear], the molecule will tumble [rotational], and the constituent bodies will oscillate [the weights will move in and out in relation to each other]). The EMR has increased the movement of that molecule (water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, ozone, or CFCs) and that is what we call heat. These molecules then passe that kinetic energy on to other atmospheric molecules and heat the atmosphere.

Citation please. Who says that?
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Billy wrote:

Nope:
(The glass in a green-house prevents convection -- obviously CO2 does not limit convection and its effect on global temperature should go by a different name.) Even most AGW fanatics agree with this.
http://xtronics.com/reference/globalwarming.htm

Google "greenhouse gases" or 'global warming". They will give you the definition that I gave you.

--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
<Persephone> wrote in message

William Shatner pretty well summed it up on a CNN show. He said the vast majority of our problems are due to the planet's overpopulation, including global warming. He also commented on Congress demanding vehicles get 35 mpg or better by 2012. He said 55 mpg is more appropriate. I'm in agreement because economy vehicles made 20 years ago were getting around 35 mpg.
--
Dave

"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Yeah. Why is mileage getting WORSE instead of better? I'm loath to buy into conspiracy theory, but this one has me following it.
--
Peace! Om

I've probably mentioned this before, but we had a '76 Datsun B210 that got 42 mpg. Billy's old Datsoon pickup likely does, or did, pretty well.
Funny thing, ain't it?
Along the same lines, in the last month the scooter population has greatly increased and there are now tons of bicycles on the streets. In the past hardly anyone rode either. Several of the local businesses, including WalFart, have put up bike parking racks.
Heh heh, lots of boats and suvs and trucks with "Fer Sale" signs also.
Personally, it's way past time that we give up, as Kunstler puts it, "Happy Motoring". Increasing fuel mileage is not the solution. Many fewer cars and many fewer miles driven, that is a good start. I think that is going to happen, no matter what.
The world is maybe getting larger again. I hope.
Charlie

Nah, the '80 Datoon is a gas guzzer at 20 mpg, think about it is that it thrives on abuse and rarely needs repairs. The '91 Sentra though, that beautiful puppy got 40 mpg avg., and about 45 mpg on the road.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
[...]

[...]
-Speaking of hibiscus, I'm curious -- are yours cursed with whitefly like mine? I got five beautiful specimens, miles above the usual nursery types, at the Huntington plant sale -- gosh, going on 8-10 years ago? Giant red and orange flowers the size of dinner plates.
BUT: From Day One, plagued with horrible whitefly. I tried every kind of approach, but nothing helped. Now I'm at the point of taking them out and redoing the entire area.
Excuse venting -- basically, I just wondered if hibiscus in your area are as badly affected as in So. Calif coastal...it's not just me, it's all over the area.
Persphone

Prince Charles an organic gardener weighs in.
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/theroyalfamily/1961719/Prince -Charles-Eighteen-months-to-stop-climate-change-disaster.html>
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /

Running out of oil will be a gift...
--
Peace! Om

Just don't try setting any examples by tying your horse to one of the bollards in front of the grocery store.
Ah, a world without oil. Just look around in your or almost anyone else's home, its plastic. A widely overlooked thing is the insulation on cables and wires. Another overlooked example is in alot of cases, the feedwater outside of the home and all wastewater pipe is plastic. Yes, there's other substitutes requiring other natural resources. But, not enough to suit the numbers required today, let alone tomorrow.
--
Dave

The United States has a 300-year supply of coal, if it continues to use it at the same rate as today. http://www.teachcoal.org/aboutcoal/articles/coalppf.html
And of course, China wants to join the unsustainable 1st World, and will be bringing new coal burning electrical plants on line until 2030.
Ain't no joy in Mudville "lucky".
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

a relatively short time when you think about it.

problems. Think of all the patents the oil company's probably have locked up.

There might be some joy down the road but thats just a guess and lets hope I get lucky.

gene) is the gene that would have corn grow plastic. http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/plastic.html

--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars