Global warming?

How old is "old"? It's amazing what more RAM can do for a computer. In fact, it's the best way to spend upgrade money, followed by a larger hard disk, and then a better video card (which is counterintuitive, but it really does help, because of all the graphics on the web).

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Why does it matter to the ISP what OS you are running, just as long as it can do TCP/IP?

Reply to
Travis M.

even with all the snow we STILL have on the ground (after about 2 weeks of rain and warm weather)...if i COULD MAKE MY WAY to the Rosa rugosae, i WOULD trim them---they're needing pruning very badly as our first snow came about

2 months earlier than expected....and i don't mean a light dusting on the ground: i mean ONE FOOT of white stuff. i was able to make SNOW ANGELS for halloween!!!! ;o>

nhz4a

Reply to
frogfog

Thanks, good point, I'd forgotten that (prob. because I haven't had a serious infection in over a year. :-))

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

In its 5th year. And yes, I've considered doubling the RAM to 512MB, the max for this mobo, and installing a new video card and adding a larger HD. But when TigerDirect offers a bare-bones bundle (tower w/ 350W PS, year-old mobo with an Athlon 2MHz CPU, 512MB RAM, AGP video and 7.1 capable sound on board) for under $400Can, spending $100 to $200 for 3 pieces of hardware looks a little unwise.

Hence my difficulty. Do I assemble a new PC for about $500 total of new parts, or buy a middling quality laptop for about $1000 (keeping in mind that todays' middling quality was cutting edge a year ro so ago.)

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

For Windows platforms, Ethernet card drivers, tcpip/ip etc are auto-configured when first installed, and when you configure the router. For OS/2, it has to be done manually, including installing the driver for the Ethernet card that connects to the router (which I connects to the DSL modem for access to the 'net.) Can be done, of course, but it's a hassle, not least because OS/2 doesn't have many Ethernet card drivers. Bell's Access Manager is used for connecting directly through the DSL modem. There is no OS/2 version. That's the downside of using an obsolescent OS - even one that's still ahead of Windows in design, function and usability, and at least equal to Linux in stability and security (and way ahead in usability.)

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Of course, the right firewall will send up a "WTF? Something's trying to happen!" message, and keep the "something" from happening until you can check it out.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's hard to say, really. It seems like every 6 months or so, the web takes on new functionality which requires more resources. Listen to online radio on a machine that's struggling to keep up, and you get jittery music. The best approach over the years has always been to buy the best you can afford, because it'll be outdated sooner if you don't. Or, beef up what you've already got, if it'll satisfy the need. I did this last year with a pentium

3 (more memory, better video), and it helped quite a bit with basic office work (huge spreadsheets, faxing from the computer) and web radio, which I often do simultaneously. But, it's still not enough for a new pastime, recording live music. So....onward. Roof on the house, or new computer? Hmmm...
Reply to
Doug Kanter

Your router should handle the connection to the ISP be it PPPoE or DHCP not the computer.

Reply to
Travis M.

True, but OS/2 still needs the correct NIC driver, and that's the problem: not enough available for OS/2. The faster machine has on-board Ethernet, but OS/2 can't use it. I tried an add-in card (Intel 10/1000 Pro), but the generic driver that is supposed to work for all NICs didn't, probably because it was still beta. I don't have the smarts to fix it, nor even to describe the problem correctly. Or else I've misread/misunderstood the docs, which are not exactly a model of clarity (what OS docs are? :-))

Well, I'll try again Real Soon Now. I've just bought eComStation, a licensed upgraded distro of OS/2, and we'll see. OS/2 IMO still has the best GUI - consistently OO in design, and completely consistent in behaviour, unlike any other I've ever tried. I recently tried Gnome on Suse 10.0 -- not very good, a bad mix of Windows and Mac design concepts IMO. But Linux looks prmising for other reasons.

But this thread is getting very much OT, so I'll end my participation here, if you don't mind. I'll be asking questions on a couple of comp.os2... groups.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir