Global warming?

Page 4 of 5

Why does it matter to the ISP what OS you are running, just as long as it can do TCP/IP?
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Travis M. wrote:

For Windows platforms, Ethernet card drivers, tcpip/ip etc are auto-configured when first installed, and when you configure the router. For OS/2, it has to be done manually, including installing the driver for the Ethernet card that connects to the router (which I connects to the DSL modem for access to the 'net.) Can be done, of course, but it's a hassle, not least because OS/2 doesn't have many Ethernet card drivers. Bell's Access Manager is used for connecting directly through the DSL modem. There is no OS/2 version. That's the downside of using an obsolescent OS - even one that's still ahead of Windows in design, function and usability, and at least equal to Linux in stability and security (and way ahead in usability.)
HTH

Your router should handle the connection to the ISP be it PPPoE or DHCP not the computer.
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Travis M. wrote:
[.]]

True, but OS/2 still needs the correct NIC driver, and that's the problem: not enough available for OS/2. The faster machine has on-board Ethernet, but OS/2 can't use it. I tried an add-in card (Intel 10/1000 Pro), but the generic driver that is supposed to work for all NICs didn't, probably because it was still beta. I don't have the smarts to fix it, nor even to describe the problem correctly. Or else I've misread/misunderstood the docs, which are not exactly a model of clarity (what OS docs are? :-))
Well, I'll try again Real Soon Now. I've just bought eComStation, a licensed upgraded distro of OS/2, and we'll see. OS/2 IMO still has the best GUI - consistently OO in design, and completely consistent in behaviour, unlike any other I've ever tried. I recently tried Gnome on Suse 10.0 -- not very good, a bad mix of Windows and Mac design concepts IMO. But Linux looks prmising for other reasons.
But this thread is getting very much OT, so I'll end my participation here, if you don't mind. I'll be asking questions on a couple of comp.os2... groups.
HTH

Because MS stuff still on the disk can be invoked by other MS stuff on the disk, the OS included, whether you planned it to or not. Quite a few attacks on Windows computers rely on this trait. If you don't want a given MS program to be executed, you have to delete it.
--
Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities
notes and links.

OK. I asked because sometimes, uninstalling software on Windows machines can result in really hideous problems that you're never able to solve completely, except by reformatting and reinstalling the OS, which isn't such a bad idea anyway from time to time.
Robert Grumbine wrote:
[..]

Thanks, good point, I'd forgotten that (prob. because I haven't had a serious infection in over a year. :-))

Of course, the right firewall will send up a "WTF? Something's trying to happen!" message, and keep the "something" from happening until you can check it out.
from snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com contains these words:

The problem with you top posting, is that your posts are so muddled and back to front they are unreadable.
Janet
........ actually, removing others messages work well too as long as one stays away from the "me too" answers. realistically, how often do people who are following a thread NOT know what the topic is about. having already read previous posters I dont usually need to see em again, hence they should be relegated to the bottom. Ingrid
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&q=puregold&qt_s=Group+lookup www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

What the hay is "packaged e-mail"?
--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Our "town gas" was from coal. So, when you talked about Britain's conversion to natural gas, I thought you meant what that term means here... the huge national conversion project from coal-gas to natural gas. That's where we got our wires crossed. Let's try again
You wrote " Britain started out pretty well when they converted to natural gas (snips) The conversion occurred in the early 90s."
Don't interpret that to mean Britain ceased coal-fired power generation in the 90's. Britain continues to use coal-fired power stations to generate electricity , though we do also use gas, nuclear and hydro power stations, wind-generastion is increasing and wave-power is on its way.
http://www.draxpower.com/about.php http://www.hydrogen.co.uk/h2_now/journal/articles/4_kingcoal.htm
Janet
James Wrote:

I agree with Bill, the Garden Banter is for gardening, not politics. A much as I like to talk politics, I am going to refrain as of today. To of the day to all
-- golddog

I wondered if anybody got that. Thanks for your support...
Mr. Bill
James said:

Janet said:

This much is true. Well we had better get cracking over here now! With the presidents call last night for just what you opine, maybe some of the decreasingly great minds of our nation will come up with something big!
I hope so.
Mr. Bill

Thank you for a little voice of reason here. You will probably get flamed by the more emotional who have been convinced (rightly or not) that global warming will be our demise. I say if global warming is going to put an end to us all then let's just go ahead and build a whole crapload of nuclear reactors and at least breathe easier as we meet our end. Oh wait that may reduce greenhouse emissions! Oh noooo! Then global warming might not come around quickly enough to be our demise.... Oh but then the nuclear waste will kill us!
And if you copy and worward this email to everybody on your list Bill Gates will give you a hundred dollars!
Really this is not the place to have this discussion anyway. You see it has turned into a political discussion. This is a gardening group.
Just my two pennies worth, whatever it is worth. Duh, tow pennies of course? What was I thinking?
Mr. Bill
I agree. One doesn't have to venture much of an opinion on such minutia in order to get a heated response.
wrote:

any
though
explained
alarmed --and

series
end
come
Gates
has

Whs the pun intentional? I got a good laugh out of it even if it wasn't. He He heated response...
Mr. Bill

Agree completely with your assessment and logic you present, James. When I was in grade school the fear was an Ice Age coming again and *soon*. When that didn't generate any bucks the tone changed. Amazing how many people can be duped by this. I believe there is a problem though and it is the fact of the population explosion. I will say that the 6 billion + humans on the earth today is 50% more than when I was a freshman in H.S. Hmm 50% increase in CO2 emissions in 28 years? Every day... 50% increase in CO2 exhalation and steadily rising from this point forward? - forever? Wow that MUST be having an alarming effect on greenhouse gases? What to do about it though? That is the real question. Fact is that the human race will indeed overcome this planet's sustaining capability. Population explosion is the problem.

The "ice age" theory was never signed onto by the majority of climatologists and earth scientists, because it didn't have sufficient data to support it. Global warming does have sufficient data and virtually the entire climatology scientific community agrees that is is real. To pretend otherwise reminds me of the current debate about evolution in the US, in which the fundamentalists who favor creationism pretend that there are equal numbers of reputable scientists on both sides of the question. But, if you prefer to bury your head in the sand out of some interesting notion that denial is healthy, please be my guest.......