Global warming?

Page 1 of 5
...or *something*!
Even in So. Calif coastal, where it's usually mild, we're not having much winter. Garden things are happening out of season.
For example, the leaves haven't even finished falling off my Wisteria, when a few blooms already appear.
And my Cape Jasmine is flowering up a storm, way ahead of time.
I usually prune roses late January, so went ahead and did it, but had to remove a lot of lovely, lush new foliage.
Any other "early" stories out there?
Persephone
--
The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates
Persephone wrote:

Lost three roses last year (mid-Northern Ontario) because we had an early spring thaw February/March that lasted three weeks - just long enough to persuade the roses it was time to start setting buds. Then we had what used to be normal March weather, a couple of weeks of around -5 to -10C overnight, with mostly below freezing days, too.
The really scary thing about climate change is that the models predict that a climate flip or turnover sould happpen in less than a century. That is, some reasonable sets of inputs into the models predict very rapid climate changes, others sets (only slightly different) predict slow changes. But we don't know enough about the present climate to be able to say which sets of input assumptions reflect reality. So we're stuck with guessing. We could have a mostly tropical planet by 2100. But the ecosystems can't adapt that fast. So ---
Hay, I'm in S.Calf. and winter has ben long and cold and dry up in the high mojave desert and only my iris are sending up any new fans, everything else is still very much asleep.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Upstate NY, zone 5:
My composter was frozen solid in early December, and full to the top. Now, it's defrosted, and volume has reduced by half. I've never seen this happen by January. Parsley's growing again, and a few crocuses have sent up sprouts. They'll survive when frost returns, but I'm worried about some of the perennials.
Persephone Wrote:

Here in W Pa the temperature is 60 and has been exceptionally warm mos of the winter. We consider this a plus and count the days until Marc when the temperatures won't go below 25. Although global warming my b responsible for this warming trend. Global warming is a very seriou happening and is not considered important by most governments, as the are only concerned with big business and not changing their way o polluting. Money talks, unfortunately
-- golddog

Yeah, they remind me of the ol; Ostrich...head-in-the-sand...Here in the wilds of WA. State, several Robins showed up last Tuesday. I have never before seen them here this early. It's usually near the end of February before they show up!
Regards, Bill

Global warming is a very serious

Maybe you should check out something called the KYOTO treaty.
Janet
Janet Baraclough Wrote:

Janet, I amend my comments to include governments not taking globa warming important to the US, Russia, China, and India. Although believe Russia has signed on to the treaty, it will be decades befor they make much difference in their polluting
-- golddog
contains these words:

The concept of buying & selling pollution credits pretty much trumps any pretty ideas everyone (except us) agreed to in that treaty.

That's the US-govt fake excuse designed to justify their ostrich stance to Americans. Taken from from the same dusty-irrational-make-believe-justification shelf as " Saddam Hussein had it coming because he was responsible for 9/11."
Janet.
contains these words:

Saddam *was* responsible for 9/11. A squirrel told me about it.
Doug Kanter Wrote:

To set the record straight, Saddam was not responsible for 9/11. N matter what Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, and Rush Limbaugh say
-- golddog

Ohmigard, are you SURE? Has anyone told the President?
Janet.
Doug Kanter wrote:
Janet wrote.

Ha I heard about it from a monkey..........

Was it a nookular monkey? :)
Persephone wrote:

Global warming will actually make winters colder. Rising temperatures will melt the ice caps, releasing fresh water into the ocean. This will decrease the strength of the gulf stream, which is what brings warm air from the equator up to the northern hemisphere during the winter. New England and Europe are going to be hardest hit. In general, global warming makes everything more extreme.
Here in Philadelphia, December was fairly cold, but this January, temperatures have often been in the 50s, and it seems to make it to 60 once a week. My tulips and daffodils have already started coming up.

I love gardening too and have to laugh sometimes at the unscientific posts that occur here at times. Some type of "global warming" caused the last great ice age to recede too. How the heck did that happen? AND was it a bad thing?
Major climate change has been a fact of life since the beginning of time on earth. The difference now is the rate of change. No fossil record or core sample we have ever found shows such a rapid change in temperatures over one century as we have just experienced or such a huge measurable increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide. During every major climate change, there were major die offs of species - and many of those species had several thousand years to adapt. It takes no special scientific ability to predict that with more rapid climate change those die-offs will happen much faster and will affect many more species. Can an earth which might lose 1/4th of all its species support 6 or 7 billion humans? Not likely............In fact, it's quite possible that we might join the ranks of the species who die-off, or die back to small numbers. Just imagine if global warming were to assist the spread of some sort of incurable plant disease to the grain family (graminaceae) - how long could the human race survive in numbers without wheat, rice, corn, oats, barley, rye, millet, or any other grain to provide storable calories? Unfortunately, the climate change which fossil fuel burning initiated might now be irreversible. In other words, even if we stopped burning oil and coal tomorrow, the climate would probably continue to warm for several centuries according to some models. I hope those models are incorrect. Unwittingly at first, and now, with more knowledge available to us but not acted upon, stupidly we have fouled our own nest.......

djay wrote:

There's nothing unscientific about this. Lots of studies have been done.
I'm not talking about another ice age, just weather patterns in the northern hemisphere. The summers, like the rest of the world, will be incredibly hot, but a weakened Gulf Stream will result in colder winters.

If one 5 C warming was good, does that necessitate that another 5 C warming will also be good? What definition of 'good' are you using?
The reason for the last glacial termination is one which offers little good news. Milankovitch cycles (small variations in the earth's orbit on tens of thousands of year time scales) have driven ice age cycles for the last 2.5 million years. For the last 700-ish ky, this has meant ice ages of something like 100 ky duration, emphasis on the 'something like' as it's plus or minus about 30 ky, depending on how the multiple cycles line up with each other.
The spans between major advances in northern hemisphere ice have been something like 10 ky -- with similar variation (particularly long interglacial about 400 kya). That has lead to the sound bite of 'we're due for an ice age so _should_ be putting more greenhouse gases in the atmosphere to ward it off'. The thing is, that's false. To the extent that Milankovitch cycles are the control, we're due for another particularly long interglacial, with another 50 or 70 ky to go : Ledley, T. S. "Summer solstice solar radiation, the 100 kyr ice age cycle, and the next ice age", Geophys. Res. Letters, 22, 2745-2748, 1995.

... for areas of the northeastern Atlantic. The global picture is more consistently for heating, even in winter.
--
Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities
notes and links.