Gladiolas

Hi all:
Fall is upon us, and I'm rather new to the Autumn yard scene. My knowledgeable father-in-law tells me I need to dig up my gladiola bulbs before they freeze, to replant next year. I'm in Atlantic Canada, zone 5b I think. Questions I have:
1. How do I store them? Little plastic containers in the cool basement OK? Should I put them in some sand or something to keep them dry?
2. What about all the little bulblets that are stuck to the sides of most of them? Pull 'em off and save them? Pitch 'em? Leave them alone to do what they will?
Thanks!
KD

Dig them up store in your basement. Let the stalks shrivel and then cut them away. You can keep them in a net bag or in dry peat, sand, whatever. They don't need to be kept moist.
You can save the babies over winter them same way, and plant in spring. After two seasons you could have corms capable of supporting flowers.

By the way, when you dig up your bulbs to store them, some of the bulblets will be left in the soil. In certain conditions, they'll sprout next season, which may tempt you to leave the big ones in the ground next winter. Don't do it. Don't ask me how I know this. :-)
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:50:03 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

^_^ Just because they last over one winter doesn't mean they won't croak during the next. I had glads coming up all over the place, and suddenly they all disappeared. Digging up is good insurance.
Frogleg Wrote:

Hi Doug,
Leave the little bulblets attached. Take a look here for all yo should need to know.
http://tinyurl.com/3vvj6
New
-- Newt
Newt Wrote:

Oops, I meant to address this to KD. Sorry about the typo. New
-- Newt