Ginko Seeds?

I was at a local riverwalk park and under one of the ginkos there was some fruit on the ground. Kind of a raisin looking thing slightly larger than a grape. Inside is a see that looks like a psitachio.
I picked up a handful of them and want to try and germinate them. Has anyone experience with ginko seeds? How will I know which one is male/female as I understand the females are less desireable.
thanks!
chaz
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=ginko+seed+germinating +
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=gingko+%7C+Ginkgo++seedlings+age+%7C+first+flower
notice 3 different spellings. looks like Ginkgo is best, based on its botanical name.

probably have to wait until first flowering
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/Education/ohiotrees/maidenhair.htm
i've noticed that the fruit smell a bit like smelly shoes, bit mostly when it has rained onto smashed fruit on siedwalks.