Ginger smelling Lily

A friend's Mother used to grow lilies that smelled fairly strongly of Ginger. I would like to plant some but have no idea what to look for. Haqs anyone seen or heard of them? The flower is white with brownish specks on them. The lady passed away before I could find out what they were called. I have searched out "Ginger Lily" but none look similar. Thanks much. BetsyB
sacred lily of the incas ? i'm sure that one has a ginger smell.
BetsyB wrote:

oh, no, i found the one i remember smelling of ginger, and it's the yellow one here: http://home.rose.net/~jimeds/gingers.htm a ginger lily, of course. sorry, i'm no help at all!
jils wrote:

But that sure is pretty but looks nothing like a lily I am accustomed to seeing. Might check if they grow in oour zone, just for the smell.

My father grows something he calls ginger lily. It has a tall stalk with multiple blooms (similar to a gladiola). It generally blooms in late summer/early fall. Here is a website that has photos that look like his:
http://www.floridata.com/ref/h/hedyc.cfm
That is lovely. Does it smell like ginger?

on
called.
with
his:
Gotta see if I can order some. They are so pretty. Thanks for the link.
Betsy

Darn shame I live in NJ, I doubt it would survive our winters. Zone 6
The Hedychium is only hardy in USDA zones 9-11, so unfortunately it is only suited for growing in warmer climates like those found in southern Florida, California, and other tropical-like areas. A light frost or freeze will cause the plant to die back to the ground, but it will quickly recover as the temperatures rise in the Spring. Butterfly Lilies prefer light to partial shade, and should be grown in a rich moist soil. The plant may be grown from seed, or is easy to propagate by division or root cuttings (simply dig up and cut the thick roots into 8" pieces and replant.

hedychium also lives quite successfully in north Florida. I had a clump in Tallahassee that survived just fine.