ginger

Will this work? I'm in zone 7, e.TN. If I bought some ginger root at the grocery, how could I grow this in my shade garden? I was thinking about taking a 2" piece, coat it with rooting hormone powder, and putting it into moist vermiculite. Has anyone tried this? Will this work? I see lots of wild ginger in the parks, but it is illegal to dig up plant material there.

You should be able to grow ornamental ginger (not the same as the ginger from the grocery store), which you should be able to get from a nursery.
I've been growing ornamental ginger in my yard in zone 7, I just mulch it heavily and grow it in a protected spot, and it comes back each summer.

dunno about outside but people have done it in a pot which you afterwards you could probably transplant. I forget why it's not popular, either not very showy or it is a somewhat stinky plant

In addition to what Paul said, some store ginger has been treated so that it doesn't sprout. The ginger sold as food isn't very attractive when in growth anyway, better to get an ornamental.
some good info at:
http://www.gingerwoodnursery.com/index.php
--
Charles

Does not play well with others.
yes, it will work, but the one I grew got too big for the area in th solarium. if you break a piece off be sure to let the broken end cure before planting it as it will brobably rot if not cured. I just used some potting soil in a big pot and it grew long stems with fine long frond type leaves simular to palm fronds. i did use Super Trove as a rooting inducer. --Lee
Thanks Lee. I've been looking for ginger for some time now in nuseries and at an herb farm without luck, so I'm ready to try this. Anyone know the location/climate the store-bought ginger is grown? We have a lot of shady acidic soil conditions on a slope and need some plant cover there. (Already have pachysandra, variuous ferns, and some wild honey suckle).
On 10 Apr 2005 20:21:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@1starnet.com wrote:

Store-bought ginger will sprout and grow very easily. Look for pieces on which little knobs are turning greenish -- that's where the leaves sprout. Plant very shallowly in light potting soil. It's a rather attractive plant with leaves like overgrown lily-of-the-valley. But not for shade. That is, it *will* grow in partial shade, but I understand it may actually bloom in full sun. It is a tropical, and won't take a particle of frost, so grow in a pot and bring indoors, or start new plants each spring.