getting rid of st. augustine

Totally redid the front yard. St. Augustine (sp?) grass was a fatality of the makeover. I didn't reseed w/ anything yet b/c want to be sure the St. Aug. will not come back and take over. It's been about four to five weeks since I've been watering the area again and sprigs of S. Aug. keep popping up and I dutifully dig them out. Is this the way to handle this or is there another way to totally get rid of it more quickly and surely? I can be patient if I have to. I want it gone - for good. TIA for any suggestions (short of giving up and moving to a new home). Vic

Reply to
Vrstull