Getting Rid of Queen Anne's Lace

Just digging it out isn't working, and may not even be possible.

If I remove all the other smaller plants in the area, can I use Roundup, or some other weedkiller, to kill the Queen Anne's Lace?

If not Roundup, what is recommended?

Will the weedkiller hurt lilacs, roses, raspberries, or any other bushes in the area (too large to remove)?

How long after using the weedkiller can the original plants be restored or new ones put in in place of the Queen Anne's Lace? Thanks.

Cori

Reply to
cmashieldscapting

One plant, or many? Can you gather the plant into a bundle and stuff it into a garbage bag with the bottom removed, then douse it with round-up? shouldn't hurt any plants that you don't put it on.

Reply to
Charles

A whole border. Someone suggested putting the Roundup on a sponge and the sponge directly on any plants I don't want, so as not to damage ones I do want, but I was sort of thinking of moving those plants anyway to redistribute them. It's the ones too large to move about which I'm concerned. Thanks for your suggestion. Maybe it would be best to put the garbage bags around the plants I do want and spray all the others--there are so many more of them!

Cori

Reply to
cmashieldscapting

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

So if I have to wait clear till spring to replace the plants I want, probably I should plan to do all this last thing in the fall?

Cori

Reply to
cmashieldscapting

QAL is a very deep rooted plant, I don't think digging will help. Where do you live? QAL grows fairly slowly around here, and is easily controlled. They sprout late in the season, and you can see them all over the place in summer and fall. I think they are not as much of a pest because once the weather gets warm enough for them to grow, it stops raining and they don't get much water. They are, however, a very deep rooted plant, and will still slowly grow and bloom when everything around it has died. I mow them or just pull them out, and they are gone.

Give it a bit of water, and one plant will do this:

expect I'll have a couple million of them next year because of this one plant. My kids like it, I don't have the heart to pull it, so I water it weekly instead and watch it grow.

Reply to
Matthew Reed

"Matthew Reed" wrote in news:1radnQJzHvzEmFDZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's lovely.

How do they propagate -- seeds? tubers? I'd love some in my wildflower garden.

How come plants never seem to grow rogue in the gardens of those who would welcome them?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Stick a few carrots (buy them at the grocery store; they're cheap) in the ground in your wf garden next year and you will have queen annes lace. It might also work to scatter some carrot seeds in the fall.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

"FragileWarrior"

They propagate like seeds, like a carrot. They are supposed to be perrenials, but my observations make me think they might be annuals - IE they bloom the first year when planted from seeds. I'm going to save the seeds from mine and plant a few next year and see how they do.

Reply to
Matthew Reed

zxcvbob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Wait a minute... QAL and carrots are the same thing?????

Reply to
FragileWarrior

QAL aka The Wild Carrot aka Daucus Carota is a wild carrot, not the same thing as a domesticated carrot, but a cousin. Here in Oregon it's classified as a class C noxious weed. They are everywhere, but I've not noticed them being that noxious. Maybe if I was a farmer I'd feel otherwise :-P. They don't get very big unless you water them, like I did to a couple - then they get huge. There are a rather pretty wildflower, IMNSHO. It's edible when young, but I don't recommend eating it because there are other similar plants that are poisonous. You might end up eating hemlock by mistake.

Matthew Reed

Not quite, but close enough. (QAL roots are white.)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

[..]

Parsnips?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Not parsnips. (parsnips have yellow flowers) They are carrots, but the roots are white. If you plant carrots in the flowerbed, you get QAL -- but they might grow almost 6 feet tall if you water them (don't ask me how I know this)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

COOOOOOOL! Tomorrow I shall be planting some carrots in my garden.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

It'll probably work better in the spring, but go for it. :-)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

mat of creeping roots. They spread like wild and you can't kill them with a stick. I know my battle is futile because a huge batch grows on the other side of the fence from the batch I'm trying to eliminate. A few years back, a lady who wanted a wildflower garden there cut, dug, beat, burned, and poisoned the lot of them. They were sickly for about a year, then came back stronger than ever. Once mine are gone, IF EVER, I will have to watch those on the other side of the fence and cut them the minute they show signs of going to seed, and even then I'm afraid the roots may creep under the fence the minute I turn my back.

Digging thins them temporarily, but in a year or two they are as thick as ever. It's bound to be an ongoing battle, but I'd like to give some other things a chance, being as along that fence is about the ONLY area of the yard with ANY sun.

A lady from a nursery was over Sunday and said Roundup will harm my lilac, raspberries, roses, and two other bushes I want but don't know the names of, so the plants around those will have to be either dug, or poisoned with EXTREME care. The poison seems to "take" better the more of the plant foliage is above ground to poison, so I've stopped mowing them. She also said that pre-emergent in the spring is a good idea, so I will plan on removing all the other plants that will (be small enough to remove), poisoning what can be safely done, digging the rest, then using the pre-emergent in the spring before replacing the other plants.

Cori

Reply to
cmashieldscapting

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

QAL is feral (incorrectly, "wild") carrot. Exactly the same species, _Daucus carota_, but naturally re-selected for survival in the wild. Carrot/QAL is a bienniel as are many of its relatives. Any plant blooming this year will be gone next year. Cutting off the flower heads will prevent seeding.

Reply to
Alfred Falk

They're not too hard to identify. If you look carefully, QAL has the one purple (or black) flower in the center of the flower head. Water-Hemlock is all white, and it grows mostly in marshy ground.

If you want confusing, talk about making hemlock tea... In the PNW thats made from the hemlock tree, and its unfortunately (and confusingly) named.