Germination

Huh? It has been nearly 4 weeks since I started my last tray of seeds to germinate. Yellow wax peppers came up after 5 days, then a couple of Portofino squash, and so on and so forth, and for the last ten days I've had 20 or so cells not doin' nothin'. Then bang, yesterday, up came a couple of Quadrato di Asti, a couple of lemon cukes, Ice Box watermelons, and Swiss Chard. I'm using my one and two year old seeds first, and I figured that they had just gone toes up, and I was getting ready to chuck them. Now I'll leave that tray to complete what it can and start a new tray (my last one for vegetables) to complete the plants that I want, and insure that I have enough of the ones that I want (only

3 bitter melons have germinated and I want at least 5).

Patience (or laziness) is a virtue. If some of your seeds didn't germinate, give them some time, if you can. They might surprise you, like they did me.

58F here today (Northern California) and I have 2 tray of repotted plants outside catching some rays. They'll come in tonight, out of the cold, and away from any stray slugs or snails.

I know that I'm getting an earlier start than many of you, but when your

70F nights kick in, you leave me in the dust.
Reply to
Billy

Sound advice I just ordered some seed this this AM only upon looking found I had some of them already. Trying to find reasonable shade lovers.

333.10 Suyo Long-Mini Vegetables > Cucumbers > Asian/Burpless 1 $1.95 $1.95

138.10 Hon Tsai Tai-Mini Vegetables > Micro Mix

1 $2.95 $2.95

512.10 Kyona Mizuna-Mini Vegetables > Micro Mix

1 $2.95 $2.95

2729TE.10 Bonsai (F1) (Treated)-Mini Vegetables > Greens > Asian > Leaf Type

1 $1.95 $1.95

2760.10 Tomatoberry Garden (F1)-Mini Vegetables > Tomatoes > Small-fruited > Red Cherry

1 $4.95 $4.95

2366G.11 Encore Lettuce Mix (OG)-Packet Vegetables > Lettuce > Salad Mixes

1 $3.95 $3.95

2246.10 Rubicon (F1)-Mini Vegetables > Cabbage, Chinese > Napa Type

1 $2.95 $2.95

507.10 Joi Choi (F1)-Mini Vegetables > Greens > Asian > Pac Choi

1 $2.95 $2.95

3802.11 Superbo-Packet Herbs > Basil > Pesto

1 $2.95 $2.95

2494.10 Fuyu Shomi (F1)-Mini Vegetables > Greens > Asian > Pac Choi

1 $2.95 $2.95

840G.11 Staro (OG)-Packet Herbs > Chives

1 $3.35 $3.35

386.10 Golden Purslane "Goldberg"-Mini Vegetables > Greens > Specialty/Mesclun

1 $2.95 $2.95

2257.10 Red Purslane "Gruner"-Mini Vegetables > Micro Mix

1 $2.95 $2.95

All this with dimming in my back lobe.

Bill who putters

Reply to
Billy

Peppers in only five days and cukes and melon in three weeks?

Ain't it grand, simply marvelous? Garden is microcosm.

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer." ~~Ken Kesey

I'd be more than pleased with a few 70F *days*! We're runnin' way below historical averages and wetter than I remember in a long time. Fixin' to cover part of the beds to speed warming and drying.

Charlie,

Reply to
Charlie

snip Johnny's list....good choices by the way,

postponement...little known and seldom publicized... big surprise, eh?

Thanks for spreading awareness.

Charlie, betting few notice how the sky is less blue than decades ago

Reply to
Charlie