Germination

I planted seeds about a week ago, and today I noticed quite a few sprouts from some of the rows and zero on the others. I know seeds germinate at different rates, but when is it time to think that they just didn't germinate or sprout? I know many factors can affect germination. Water, temperature, depth. I did get quite a lot of sprouts, and even if half what I planted in seeds and live plants matures, I'll have plenty to do.
Next year, hope to have a greenhouse built, and do from seeds with an earlier start.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Some things normally take several weeks, don't give up for at least a month. Keep them damp - not wet and warm not hot.
David

My green beans came up so fast, that any faster and they would have knocked the cover off the tray. Peppers, on the other hand, often take 10 days.
Oh, little mysteries of life.
--

- Billy

I keep a garden log of when things were planted, germinated, were picked, etc. One major use is so I can look at a previous year and say, "Oh, those Kentucky Wonders always take 8 or 9 days to show up; relax!" It depends on moisture, temperature, variety, phase of the moon, alignment of Jupiter....
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:26:36 -0400, Gary Woods

I planted 54 parsley seeds 4 weeks ago. Three seeds germinated within a week then died, probably due to damping off else the intense heat of the sun. This week I counted 47 seedlings. Folklore says you have to be evil or wicked to be successful at germinating parsley, but you really need patience more than anything else. Lavender seeds took about 5-6 weeks.

Mine are in a 12" dia. pot, and re-seed themselves.
--

- Billy

MIne is in a 12" clay pot too. The parsley grows well in spent potting mix? Do you leave the pot outdoors over the winter? Doesn't parsley prefer rich soil?

Honestly, I never thought about it. I started letting plants like chervil, and cilantro re-seed themselves, so it just seemed natural to let the parsley do the same. I have to admit, that the soil in the parsley pot doesn't look to good, kinda thick and viscous. I should probably freshen it up with some alfalfa pellets. I'm in northern California, and by "Heartland" standards, we have mild winters, and yes, the pot stays out. My parsley that is permanently planted in the garden is in flower now. I'll let you know if it re-seeds on it's own.
--

- Billy