Geraniums odor

Anyone else think geraniums have a disgusting smell? Maybe not as bad as a flowering carrion plant, but nauseating. I've got some that were over-wintered in the garage, still in last year's pots, but the odor is keeping me from potting them up in fresh potting mix. I was partly hoping the stinking plants would die, but they are sprouting new growth. I can't get anyone to pot them up for me, so if I can not find a way to reduce the odor (while potting them up) they will be on the way to be composted.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en-us&ei=JcaySYDiG5 -atwfu9MS8Bw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=scented+geraniums&sp ell=1>
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Phisherman wrote:

I have come across a number of cultivars that had very different smells. Some like peppermint were quite loverly, I could just run my hands over them for hours. If you don't like them why grow them?
David

Which "Geranium"? There are hundreds of species and probably millions of hybrids and cultivars. Many are grown for their fragrance and essential oils by the perfume industry. The smells range from roses, mint, citrus,and spices to creosote and other less pleasant ones. I don't find any of them "disgusting" but if you do I suggest you avoid them.
I'm assuming that you mean Pelargonium and not Geranium since Geraniums don't have any noticeably strong smell
--

09=ix

I don't find them either disgusting or nauseating.
They do have a very distinctive smell but what is ghastly to one person will not be so to another.