geranium spikes

My geraniums are growing spikes...I'm assuming these are for seeds. Do you keep the whole long pod? I don't remember the original seeds being long. DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, 1 mile off L.I.Sound 1st Year Gardener
Your 'spikes' are the fruits and will have the seeds enclosed in swellings at the base. Whether these are actually Geraniums or Pelargoniums it is seldom worthwhile saving you own seeds as modern varieties have such complex ancestry. The results can be very disappointing. If you had removed the flower heads before the formation of these fruits you would have promoted further flowering. Cuttings taken next spring is your best alternative. Best Wishes.