Geranium question- too big (in planter)

Hi, I have a few geraniums that I have saved over the winter. They are outside now (I've planted them in planters) but I've noticed they are very very big. Its almost to hard to handle moving the planter etc.. Whats the best way to keep these going? They are gorgeous and I would like to keep them healthy- come winter time, wont be able to bring them in the house due to size. Thanks

KOS

Reply to
KOS

You can prune them to reduce the size. The parts you cut off can be dipped in rooting hormone and put into potting mix or sand to root new plants.

Reply to
Vox Humana

I'm not an expert or anything but I always pinch back my geraniums when they get too tall or too leggy. You can take your pinched parts, root 'em and plant them, too, to make more plants.

Is that any help? I keep my geraniums on my windowsill and I have plants that I took from the garden in the fall three winters ago.

Reply to
"Fragile Warrior" Volfie

I would prune back and root cuttings as suggested earlier. To save over winter dig up in fall, remove all dirt from roots, hang upside down in a cool dark place. If place where you want to store isn't dark place plants in a paper bag. In spring repot, cutback to new growth and they will grow another season. Have saved plants for many years this way. Not all survive but most do..

Marv-Montezuma, IA

VMWOOD