Gasoline Storage Question?

I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.
Can I use a two quart Clorox bottle or something of a similar material?
Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage motors?
Have you other suggestions?
(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)
Thanks for your help.
On 2/13/07 1:13 PM, in article PcnAh.828$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net, "Dwight"

How much are you trying to store? A gallon is rather small amount.....
Cheryl

http://www.rei.com/category/40000752.htm
I wouldn't use any plastic container unless it's certified of fuel use. Gasoline is a solvent.
        Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Dwight wrote:

If you are in the USA it is against federal law to store gasoline in anything other than an approved plastic or metal can. The one gallon plastic is what I use for my small motors. There is a product called Stabile that keeps the gas from going stale and gumming up your carburetors, I use it in all my small motors. I wouldn't use a plastic container that originally contained anything else because some plastics melt on contact with gasoline.
George
At HD, less than $5.00 for an approved 1 gal container.

Only use approved containers. It may void you home owners insurance if you do something that is illegal. The UL Laboratories is an agency of insurance companies. Their rules are for your safety.
Here are some approved small containers called "fuel bottles":
http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/bottles.asp
http://www.outdooroutlet.com/shopping.php?pg=product-detail&idA5
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId 00&vcat=REI_SEARCH&query =%22fuel+bottle%22&x=0&y=0
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/campmor/search/main.jsp ? command=text&ip_textckpack+%22fuel+bottle%22&image.x=0&image.y=0
They are used by Boy Scouts and campers to take fuel on back pack trips.

Good suggestions. But, here's a cool tip I learned recently: For long web links, type a left arrow < then paste or type the web link and then another right arrow > It keeps the link from falling apart. Slick.

Perhaps JoeSpareBedroom can understand this.
Much cooler .
http://tinyurl.com /
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Don't those links expire?

Every thing expires. You can go the the site and book it then again it my fail tomorrow. Much like annuals ;)))
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Whatever. Yawn. My comments didn't bother you at all. They were presented politely.

No.
Perhaps.
Use only containers approved for gasoline storage. Store the containers away form the house/garage. Your local FD will give you safety suggestions for free.

The item shown in the URL below would eliminate storing oil/gasoline mixtures.
Just mix up one quart and use it in your equipment right away.
http://www.shop.com/op/~Oil_to_Gas_Mixing_And_Storage_Bottle-prod-35229038-46438304?sourceid=3

I cannot think of any common plastic disposable containers that are soluble in gasoline but you would be making a serious mistake to store gasoline in them. For example, I've had old PE bottles with just water in them break and leak in the garage. Light and air degrade plastics. Heat and solvents accelerate.
Better to use a metal container such as an empty paint thinner can.
Frank

I have a small can of kerosene in my garage. I also have a small metal can of airplane fuel (mostly methanol with some nirtomethane) that is fairly flammable. Small metal cans like that are made for storing volatile organics, and would work very well for gasoline. Make sure they are in good shape and not damaged or leaking or rusty. Using anything not specifically made for that purpose would be extremely dangerous. Using a Clorox bottle is a house fire looking for a place to happen.

That is exactly correct. Any plastic bottle that is not labeled for gasoline is not safe for gasoline:
1) most disposable containers are not UV stable or strong in cold temperatures.
2) many will dissolve over time.
3) and most important, they are not labeled "gasoline". Explosive, flammable liquids should never be stored in a container that is not properly labeled.

2 liter soda bottles work. I've stored gas in them for over a year without degradation.
but i think you need to check with the DOT. I think it is a state offense to store them in anything that is NOT an approved container

DOT. Great place to call, if your idea of fun is trying to find the right person on the phone. How about just walking into the nearest fire house and asking the head honcho?

And if someone does this and a child drinks from the container and dies will you still say it works. Don't every put poisons in food or beverage containers.
Even if the container is emptied of gas, but then filled with water, it can still be lethal.
Never put poisons in food or beverage containers.
The original poster was going to get a container for camping gas and is labeled for gas. That is the right thing to do.