Garlic?

Hi,

Could anyone please tell me when to plant Garlic and also,what i the best type to buy. Many Thanks, Stokie

-- Stokie

Reply to
Stokie

Assuming you live where there's an actual winter, garlic is best planted in the fall, at the same time as tulips & other spring flowering bulbs. The following year, it'll start growing. You're supposed to remove the "scapes" - the flowers. When the stalks turn brown, harvest the garlic.

I don't have advice on the variety.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

any hardneck variety. softneck varieties are substantially worse. Anyway, it is too late for this year, they would come up miserably if planted now. I got my hardneck from Territorial Seeds, but I also got bulbs from the farmer market that perform well. Of course, one needs garlic seed only once, it is economically and agronomically advantageous to replant the cloves of the largest bulbs.

Reply to
simy1

Based on the weather here lately (upstate NY), I'm beginning to think I need to learn how people garden in N. Carolina. My parsley and sage are growing again. It's January. This is not right.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The fall is planting time. Best? I have no idea.

Reply to
Johnny Borborigmi

True! I'm in NY and I've got day lilies sprouting! I grilled a few burgers outside this afternoon! I love it!

Reply to
Johnny Borborigmi

"Worse" in what way? They are harder to peel and have smaller cloves. The hardnecks are bigger, but the softnecks store longer.

I grow both hard and softneck varieties. I think the softnecks are 'Polish White' but I've been replanting for years.

I know I bought 'Music' and 'Bavarian Red' hardnecks and maybe another variety. I think over the years I've tried to plant my best 'redder' hardnecks along with the best of the whiter ones.

This year, here, maybe you could chance it. The ground hasn't frozen. I've got garlic greens coming up already. Yesterday someone mentioned thatthe pussywillows are blooming in her yard and buds are swelling on the red and silver maples!

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I plant mine at the end of August, through the middle of September. I bought 3 cloves of elephant garlic, because I like the milder garlic. Now I raise about 75 heads of garlic a year.

It comes up the year you plant it, winter comes, and it lives through it. In about July the next year it starts dying back. I dig it shortly after that happens. I Cut the stems back to about 3 inches, wash them off, and let them set somewhere dry in the shade where the air can reach it for 10 to

15 days (on my deck or in the garage normally).

Then I put it downstairs where it is cool until Sept. I brake as much apart as I need to plant as many big cloves as I have room for to restart the cycle, and use the little cloves. The rest stays in the basement till I use it or give it away.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

I am new to garlic, in my second year. I put in 400 plants, all hard neck, as a trial and now half of them are already up, just like yours. Do you think that the early sprouting will have any effect on the crop quality?

John

Reply to
John Bachman

They'll be fine. Some bulbs get beat up badly when their sprouts are exposed to frost. Others laugh at the punishment, die back, and return later. Crocuses are a good example of this.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom