Gardening Workout

Ok, so I decided I need to drop a few pounds.

I bought an eliptical machine, weights, heart-rate monitor, health club membership, etc.

The big problem with working out is BOREDOM!

So one day after 30 min on the hampster whees to eek out a mesily 350 cals lost, I started working in the yard.

Since I was all sweaty anyway, I figured why change, and hence I left the Heart rate monitor on. This thing measures your heart rate and also gives you your time that you spend in an aerbbic "Zone"

To my surprise, it was pretty easy keeping in the "Zone"... when I went to low. I'd cary something to the compost bin quiclky, and maybe turn it. When I went too high, I'd start pulling weeds

To my amazement, I went 2.5 hours without even noticing it!

In 3 weeks, I lost about 8 lbs this way, and managed to save thousands of dollars planting my own stuff, shoveling 2 loads of municipal compost, and 4 loads of mulch.

Blue skies Brian

Reply to
Skyfish1

You are not alone. Look at the number of used treadmills on the market. Plus, all those Nordic Tracs used for valet for holding clothing. Find activities that you enjoy and do those everyday. I enjoy mowing the lawn and the activity takes about 3 hours using a walk-behind mower. All the other neighbors use riding lawn mowers and get the job done faster, but they are about twice my weight and most have health problems. Mowing can feel like an intense workout, especially on hot days with a lot of hills. That's the time I drink (non-lite) beer!

Reply to
Phisherman

Congratulations - you found the secret! All that walking and bending works muscles you forgot you had. It's worked for me for many years, although lately, the belly's been uncooperative. I already walk about 20 miles a week, but it wasn't enough. So, I'm adding resistance by walking with a 20 lb bag of cat litter in a backpack. The muscles hurt, so apparently, it's doing something.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Wonderful and more power to you! What a great way to lose weight and get in shape.

Reply to
Mindful