Gardening tools storage problems..

Hello everyone!

I?m quite a keen gardener, with quite a large lawn. I?ve just bought myself a new ride on lawnmower and am wondering about whther I should also get myself a dedicated outdoor metal storage shed as theres no space in my garage! Had a look online, and seen the metal garden shed at an online store called Asgard 'Metal Sheds, Metal Bike Sheds, School Storage'

which looks great, but wanted to know how easy it would be to install? Has anyone got one of these?

Thanks!

Karen

Reply to
Karen Butley

Not much to set up but it looks almost too small for a ride-on mower... first big gust of wind will blow it away... hardly worth the trouble and expense to anchor it down. If all you want is something small, inexpensive, and simple, to protect just a mower... I'd recommend a tarp type cover... I don't see the point to a permanent installation for something so tiny... one of those covers for a small sports car makes much more sense. If I'm going to erect a permanent garden shed it has to be large enough to storage all my gardening equipment with plenty of room to spare. That doll house sized thing doesn't appear tall enough for an adult to stand upright.

brooklyn1

Continual water vapor condensing on machinery, is not a good deal. You could spend a lot of time greasing and painting but why? A nice concrete slab would be where I'd start. Then you could put a cover over your contraption, or do a post and lentil frame around it with a corrugated fiberglass roof.

Reply to
Billy

I hate those little metal sheds. Every time I bang my head on the low door my neck suffers too. And the tiny ones really do blow away in the wind ... and always seem to land on top of something else you didn't want damaged.

Una

Reply to
Una

I live in the States, and the ones commonly available here are of a kind of corrugated metal construction. Mine is 10 X 12. There's only a few "musts" to assembling one and being happy with it in the long run:

"Must" #1: Take the time to carefully grade the site so it is absolutely *level*.

"Must" #2: Buy the "floor kit". It's not included with most of them (some might include it) and if it isn't, the extra expense (about $75) is very well worth it - in fact, I'd say essential. The floor kit is a galvanized metal perimeter.

"Must" #3: Do NOT try to assemble it on a breezy day. You'll wind up saying words you didn't know you knew. Choose a CALM day (little to no breeze) to do it. Trust me.

"Must" #4: When it's finished, add a 3/4" exterior grade plywood floor. The floor is "toenailed" (with drywall screws) into the perimeter. The drywall screws will pierce the galvanized metal of the perimeter easily, when propelled by a screw gun.

"Must" #5: Regardless of what the manufacturer says about the quality and longevity of the factory paint, repaint it every 3 to 4 years (Rust-Oleum is by far the best paint for this job).

Mine just passed it's sixteenth birthday, and looks and performs fine. I live in an area that not uncommonly has 40 MPH winds all day (or night) long, and the shed has never batted an eyelash. Like most things, you'll ultimately get out of it what you put into it. Extra care up front, and painting it every few years will make it turn out to be a very worthwhile investment. We've all seen these things that look like rust held together with paint chips, and they're only seven or eight years old. That's sad - I think they should last 20 years easily. Take the time up front, paint it when it needs it, and it'll be fine.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

You forgot the most important "Must"; install heavy duty anchors.

And you don't want to grade the site "absolutely level" or every time it rains the shed will be sitting in a puddle. A shed shouldn't be erected directly on the ground anyway.

Reply to
brooklyn1