Gardening Mistake With Great Results

Last fall I planted spinach for a fall crop, but waited too long and cold hit before the leaves had gotten the size of eggs, and it refused to grow any more. I plopped milk cartons over the plants thinking it might grow under the cloche-like thing, but it didn't.

I left them on all winter and they survived thru below zero temps. I didn't know this was possible.

They took off this spring and are now the most lush and thick spinach plants I've ever had, a month ahead of usual.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

You're making me jealous!

Enjoy. How are you going to prepare it? Salads, creamed, wilted?

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Hey Cheryl

For lunch, we are having it sauteed in olive oil with onions, peppers, garlic, pine nuts and served over pasta and topped with feta cheese.

Salad tonite.

This was a bonus this year for sure. I'll try this "method" again this year, on purpose, and likely it won't work. :-)

Care Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

That happens with my swiss chard & collards, too, if I remember to heap a lot of leaves over the plants' crowns. This is in western NY, zone 5-6 depending on microclimate and luck.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You're making me hungry for some fresh spinach....I'm in zone 7, is it too late or too early for me to plant some spinach?

Reply to
Gloria

I'd go for it. It's really hot weather that hurts it, and I guess you'd be able to get at least baby spinach leaves.

You're looking at forty to forty five days to harvest. How hot does it get in your area by early-mid June?

BTW, we just finished our spinach and pasta lunch.....lordy, it tastes sooo much better when you have grown it yourself......;-)

Charlie

?Never eat spinach just before going on the air.? --- Dan Rather

Reply to
Charlie

And it looks like this has just become SOP round here. Zone 5-4.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Charlie, The next time you try that sautéed spinach pasta grate a little fresh nutmeg into the spinach just as it gets tender. My dad would say, "it gives it a college education". Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

Hmmmm....that sounds like a great thing. I'll most certainly do it. Thanks, Steve.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Oh yum - I add a tiny bit of nutmeg to the turkey when I make Marsala.

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak